Palace boss Holloway on transfers: A meat market full of parasites & hangers-on [Mirror]
- August 11, 2013
Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway has written an excellent article in the Mirror on Sunday giving his views on the transfer market’s silly season.
Palace, who got promoted from the Championship via the playoff final, begin their Premier League survival bid next Sunday with a home match against Tottenham.
However as the dawn of the new season beckons, Eagles fans have been left wondering whether their side have bought enough quality to even give themselves a fighting chance of beating the drop.
Palace have signed Marouane Chamakh, Dwight Gayle, Jerome Thomas, Stephen Dobbie, Elliot Grandin and Jose Campana. There is also plenty of paper talk that the South Londoners could sign up to seven more players before the window shuts on September 2nd.
But with Glen Murray injured until Christmas at the earliest, and Wilfried Zaha now at Old Trafford, it’s not going to be easy.
Holloway lambasted modern football in a typically forthright article in the Mirror.
I didn’t realise was how much things have changed since the last time I was in the top flight. The wages being asked when I was last in the top flight were mind-blowing. Now they are just plain crazy. It’s no longer a transfer market. It’s a meat market – with vultures that like to call themselves agents picking the game down to its bare bones.
Premier League football is nothing like the shiny, sanitised product that they portray in television ads. The game has got more than its fair share of chancers, parasites and hangers-on just out to make a quick killing. And the higher up the food chain you go, the greedier they seem to become.
Crystal Palace lost 1-0 to Lazio on Saturday. Match highlights can be seen below, along with Ian Holloway’s post match interview discussion his tea’s problems ahead of the new season.
- Glenn Murray to complete a £5m move from Crystal Palace to Bournemouth [Sky Sports Audio]
- Jose Mourinho: Crystal Palace were lucky & singles out 1 Chelsea player (video)
- Yannick Bolasie posts classy Instagram post after Crystal Palace win at Chelsea
- Chelsea fans say there’s no chance they can win the league after losing to Crysta...
- Good news for Chelsea fans, bad news for Chelsea fans. Jeff Stelling’s awesome li...
- Alan Pardew celebrates Crystal Palace’s “fantastic” win over Chelsea ...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...