- Trollstation, the idiot pitch invaders at Spurs v Partizan, admit they are Arsenal supporters
- Angel Di Maria compares Man United’s Wayne Rooney to Lionel Messi [Daily Mail]
- Respect! Bayern’s Mario Gotze is selling his World Cup winning boot for charity [Bild]
- Man United want Real Madrid’s Carlo Ancelotti to replace Van Gaal, may offer €16m a year [Tuttosport]
- Robin van Persie isn’t good enough for Man United [Star & Sun]
Cristiano Ronaldo walks away with Dubai’s Globe Soccer Player of the Year Award, with 58% of votes to Messi’s 9%
OK, so Dubai’s Globe Soccer award is the Mickey Mouse gong of individual football gongs, but to walks away with the award as Ronaldo has is surely indicative of the increasing respect he commands in world football.
In truth Ronaldo winning this obscure award was a foregone conclusion; he’s been on ‘holiday’ in Dubai for several days, and it appears he was the only one of the final candidates in attendance.
Ronaldo clocked up a vertiginous 58% of the votes (as voted by ‘fans from across the world’), way ahead of Lionel Messi, who gained a measly 9%; while the rest were shared out between Iniesta, Bale. Ozil, and….David Villa?
A picture of Ronaldo receiving the award from an unnamed sheikh (apparently one of Dubai’s most powerful men) can be seen below the fold.
- Updated: December 28, 2013