Costa Rica’s Paulo Wanchope responds to Jorge Pinto’s ‘Enemy’ slur: ‘He has no respect’ [Video]
- July 25, 2014
Jorge Luis Pinto stepped down as Costa Rica manager on Wedesday, and left with a parting shot, declaring that he’d spent the past 2 years ‘sleeping with the enemy’.
In an interview with RPP Noticias, Pinto claimed that Wanchope had approached the President of the Costa Rican FA, asking him to sack Pinto.
Wanchope’s subsequently become persona non grata in Costa Rican football, and has become the subject of online abuse from Ticos fans.
Wanchope has responded with a video interview, saying that he has a ‘clear conscience’, and that ‘Pinto has no respect, everyone knows it’.
‘There were all sorts of problems, but I avoided any personal conflict for the sake of Costa Rican football, because we had to qualify.
Asked if he was the worthy of the ‘Enemy’ edification given by Pinto, Wanchope responded with a government analogy:
‘Look, if the President has Ministers, and the Minister approaches him telling him ‘this isn’t working, this needs improving’, then he’s doing his job correctly.’
Players were coming here from Europe, and were being asked to pull and lift tyres.’
The most important thing was qualifying for the World Cup, to make the kids dream and have something to inspire them for the future.’
But, dignity and respect are also important values, and I’d rather not qualify for a World Cup than be a man lacking in respect.
The relationship between Pinto and everyone else is finished.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...