Corinthians midfielder Petros banned for 6 months after pushing a referee
- August 19, 2014
Corinthians won 1-0 at Santos earlier this month in what was incidentally Robinho’s first game back at his childhood club.
At the time, footage of Corinthians midfielder Petros pushing over referee Raphael Claus went viral in Brazil as many wondered whether it was on purpose.
On Monday, a sports tribunal in Brazil ruled that Petros should be banned for a whopping six months for pushing Claus.
This comes as a huge blow to Corinthians who are third in Brazil’s Serie A, five points behind leaders Cruzeiro.
Petros initially claimed it was unintentional but then admitted how he was frustrated by how Claus had blocked one of his team mates when the score was at 0-0 in an important match for Corinthians.
Six months seems harsh to us. Corinthians are set to appeal the six-month ban.
Was Petros pushing the referee worse than Luis Suarez biting Giorgio Chiellini?
Or should we be looking for another example to go on?
- Tottenham fans have mixed reactions to reports Alexandre Pato may move to WHL (Tweets)
- Sao Paulo prepare for Alexandre Pato to move to Tottenham before the window closes [UOL]
- Man United & Chelsea offered Alexandre Pato for £11m [Telegraph]
- Corinthians President hangs Alexandre Pato out to dry with incredible quotes about Braz...
- Veteran Corinthians striker Emerson Sheik gets sent off in silly circumstances [Video]
- Santos keeper Vladimir pulls off incredible recovery save v Corinthians [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...