Contrary to the rumours, AC Milan’s Mario Balotelli DID NOT cry at Napoli because of racism [Football Italia]
- February 9, 2014
The day after the night before, many are still trying to understand why Mario Balotelli burst into tears after being subbed during AC Milan’s 3-1 defeat at Napoli on Saturday night.
Twitter lit up like a bonfire immediately after the images of Balotelli weeping on the bench were broadcasted on TV, with rumours turning into instant facts that Super Mario was bawling because he’d been racially abused by Napoli fans.
Those rumours didn’t fit in with the narrative coming out of the Milan dressing room after the match ended.
When Clarence Seedorf spoke the the media following is first defeat in charge of the Rossoneri, the boss spoke about Balotelli’s tears without even touching on the notion his striker was racially abused. Seedorf told Sky Italia:
We are players and there are times when we express ourselves that way. I see nothing wrong or abnormal in that. I experienced it at times too.
He too needs to grow in general. He played very well against Cagliari, while tonight perhaps didn’t make the most of the space. These are things we can all improve on and I’m happy he has so many areas to improve, as I can help him through that education.
Now Football-Italia’s Susy Campanale has written an excellent blog confirming that Balotelli WAS NOT racially abused at the San Paolo.
How quickly this falsehood spread was disconcerting… I don’t know where the rumour started, perhaps from a Vine account or a misguided journalist who wasn’t at the game, but it seemed incredibly difficult to stop.
Evidence and context were apparently irrelevant, for Balotelli broke down and therefore it HAD to be racist abuse.
Don’t underestimate the power of sport to move the emotions in fans or players. And don’t leap to conclusions.
Footage of Mario Balotelli crying at Napoli below.
- Huge Coup: Malaga sign wonderkid Hachim Mastour on two-year loan from AC Milan
- AC Milan 2 – Empoli 1: Newbies Carlos Bacca & Luiz Adriano open their Milan ...
- AC Milan (Mexes) beat Manchester United (Ashley Young) in 2 v 2 Adidas Skills game (Video)
- Mario Balotelli on what went wrong at Liverpool & conduct at AC Milan in extensive...
- AC Milan’s Mario Balotelli writes farewell post to Liverpool fans on Facebook
- The best goals from Serie A matchday 1 including a Stevan Jovetic golazo (video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...