Contender for worst miss of the season: Claudio Marchisio (Juventus) v Lazio
- January 30, 2013
Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio summed up the mood after defeat to Lazio in the Coppa Italia semi-final on Tuesday evening with the following message on his Facebook page:
“I could not miss that goal, it was too important, I’m sorry.”
We feature a lot of epic missed chances on this website but in many cases it is all about context and whe it comes to this, Claudio Marchisio’s was the type that would feature in any professional footballer’s nightmares.
A hard fought Coppa Italia semi-final between Lazio and Juventus burst into life late on.
After a 1-1 draw in the first leg last week, Lazio looked to have secured a place in the final thanks to an Alvaro Gonzalez header. Only for Arturo Vidal to equalise and seemingly send the game to extra time on 92.
Lazio bounced back immediately and made it 2-1 (3-2 on aggregate) through Sergio Floccarri a minute later. Game over right? No! There was time for one more attack…
Sebastian Giovinco was played in down the right hand channel, his shot across goal was superbly saved by Federico Marchetti into the path of Claudio Marchisio.
To put it into context, due to the away goals rule, this miss meant Lazio head to the final instead of Juventus. Pretty much the definition of an epic miss.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...