Comedy keeping: Neil Alexander knocks the ball into his own net to deny Rangers a win v Elgin
- January 5, 2013
“I haven’t spoken to him yet but obviously I will do. I’ve seen the goal a good few times. He’s big enough to recover from it but he knows he made a mistake. We will look at it again on Monday. But he’s been in the game long enough to handle situations like that. Goalkeepers make mistakes and everybody sees them and invariably they cost a goal. Other boys make mistakes and can get away with them. Neil is a big enough boy to handle it.” – Rangers boss Ally McCoist.
Elgin City’s late equaliser at Ibrox on Saturday was befitting of the Scottish Third Division and Neil Alexander, despite his manager’s comments above, may take a few days to get over this one.
Likely to be billed as the worst keeper gaffe of 2013 so far, Alexander managed to inexplicably hit the ball into his own net when a clean easy catch looked simple enough.
The fact it came in the 87th minute and denied Rangers their 100% league record at Ibrox this season, only adds to the hilarity.
Alexander can console himself with the fact the Gers have a 17 point lead in Scotland’s third Division.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...