Christoph Kramer to Nicola Rizzoli: “Referee, is this the World Cup final?”
- July 17, 2014
Earlier this week we reported how Germany midfielder Christoph Kramer was so concussed during the World Cup final that he completely forgot the first half.
Kramer was a late addition to the Germany starting XI when Sami Khedira pulled out injured in the warm-up.
But, an elbow from Ezequiel Garay left Kramer in a poor state and he collapsed ten minutes after the collision before eventually being replaced by Andre Schurrle.
Today, World Cup final referee Nicola Rizzoli has revealed that he also ordered Kramer off the pitch, when the Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder asked him: “Referee, is this the World Cup final?”
Rizzoli: “Shortly after the Garay collision, Kramer came to me and asked if this was the World Cup final.”
The official goes on to say that he thought Kramer was joking.
“I went to Schweinsteiger, and instructed him to have Kramer replaced,” added Rizzoli.
The Italian ref also revealed that after the game, Kramer came up to Rizzoli and thanked him for ordering that he be substituted.
- Newcastle v Borussia Monchengladbach: Watch a Live Stream of the pre-season friendly
- Max Kruse and Christoph Kramer practise party trick before Monchengladbach win [Video]
- Bayern’s Manuel Neuer made an epic error as Gladbach won 2-0 in Munich [Official ...
- A look back at Hannover’s remarkable record-breaking own goal spree [Video]
- Gladbach’s Thorgan Hazard says his goal is to return to Chelsea one day [HLN]
- Thorgan Hazard explains permanent move from Chelsea to Gladbach [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi