Christoph Kramer to Nicola Rizzoli: “Referee, is this the World Cup final?”
- July 17, 2014
Earlier this week we reported how Germany midfielder Christoph Kramer was so concussed during the World Cup final that he completely forgot the first half.
Kramer was a late addition to the Germany starting XI when Sami Khedira pulled out injured in the warm-up.
But, an elbow from Ezequiel Garay left Kramer in a poor state and he collapsed ten minutes after the collision before eventually being replaced by Andre Schurrle.
Today, World Cup final referee Nicola Rizzoli has revealed that he also ordered Kramer off the pitch, when the Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder asked him: “Referee, is this the World Cup final?”
Rizzoli: “Shortly after the Garay collision, Kramer came to me and asked if this was the World Cup final.”
The official goes on to say that he thought Kramer was joking.
“I went to Schweinsteiger, and instructed him to have Kramer replaced,” added Rizzoli.
The Italian ref also revealed that after the game, Kramer came up to Rizzoli and thanked him for ordering that he be substituted.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...