- Man United fan campaign succeeds after Liverpool remove Mario Balotelli from POTY poll
- The top ten goals from round 32 of La Liga, featuring Antoine Griezmann overhead [Video]
- The goal of the night award goes to Clarence Seedorf [Video]
- Saint Etienne All-Stars beat Ronaldo, Zidane and friends 9-7 in epic charity match [Highlights]
- Ronaldo sends crowd wild with no-look pass to fellow Real Madrid old boy Zidane [Video]
Chico Loco! Celta’s Iago Aspa sent off for unprovoked, violent headbutt on Carlos Marchena
- March 15, 2013
Tonight’s Galician derby pitted bottom (Depor) against second from bottom (Celta Vigo); suffice to say it was the most important game of the season for both sides.
Manuel Pablo, Depor’s veteran defender who knows a thing or two about Galician derbys, went so far as to say it was the biggest of his entire career in the pre-match build-up.
Which makes Iago Aspas’ sending off all the more difficult to believe.
Celta’s local boy Aspas – who’s courting interest from La Liga’s bigger sides, as well as England, – pretty much cost his side their game of the season for a simply incredibly stupid act.
29 minutes in, and with Depor leading 1-0 through Riki’s golazo, Carlos Marchena accidentally tripped over Celta’s striker.
Aspas, possibly thinking Marchena had done so intentionally (though that’s hard to believe), turned to face an unaware Marchena and landed a violent, inexcusable headbutt on the Depor defender.
The cowardly act was made all the worse as Aspas tried in vain to skulk away unnoticed, trying to look innocent.
Happily, the officials had spotted the headbutt and Aspas was duly sent off, meaning Celta face at least four games of their relegation run-in without their top scorer.
Depor ran out 3-1 winners, and without wanting to take anything away from their achievement, it can’t be denied that Aspas’ sending off gave Depor huge initiative going into the break.
Just how stupid do you need to be to land an unprovoked headbutt in your side’s biggest game of the season?!