Chelsea’s Schürrle winds up Man United’s Rooney saying he wouldn’t get in the German team [Mail on Sunday]
Chelsea midfielder Andre Schürrle has openly question whether Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney would command a starting place in Germany’s starting eleven.
Schürrle was speaking in the build-up to Germany’s visit to Wembley to face England on Tuesday night, and the Chelsea man said:
Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don’t know if he would play.
The Mail on Sunday have seized upon the quote to fire the backpage of their paper with the headline: Rooney wouldn’t get in the Germany team.
For the record, Wayne Rooney has scored nine goals in his last 11 England internationals, while this season the United forward has seven goals and seven assists in club football.
On the other hand, Joachim Löw’s Germany ended their qualifying campaign unbeaten, with an immaculate record away from home: five games, five wins, 19 goals scored and just five goals conceded.
Moreover, Germany were the highest-scoring team in European World Cup qualification, scoring 36 goals in ten matches, an average of 3.6 goals per game. Mesut Özil was Germany’s leading marksman with eight goals, of which two were penalties. Marco Reus hit the target five times, whilst Thomas Müller, Miroslav Klose, Mario Götze and André Schürrle each scored four goals.
A copy of the backpage of the Mail on Sunday can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Ex Chelsea man Andre Schurrle reveals ruthless nature of Jose Mourinho [BILD]November 23, 2016
- Chelsea old boy Andre Schürrle splits from fiancee Montana Yorke [Bild]July 31, 2016
- Andre Schurrle calls Messi the best of all time, treasures 7-1 Brazil spanking (Video)January 26, 2016
- Andre Schurrle: I left Chelsea because Jose Mourinho didn’t trust me (Quotes)September 28, 2015
- Gareth Southgate gives first interview as permanent England manager (Video)November 30, 2016
- Gareth Southgate has been offered the England job [Sun]November 24, 2016
- Wilfried Zaha set to switch to the Ivory Coast despite having played for England [BBC]November 22, 2016
- Gareth Southgate to be confirmed as England manager after three-hour interview [Telegraph]November 21, 2016
- Gigi Buffon’s perfect reaction when Italy fans booed the German anthem (Video)November 16, 2016
- Thomas Muller continues his feud v San Marino on FacebookNovember 16, 2016
- Marc-Andre ter Stegen responds to racist tweet about Barcelona teammate Samuel UmtitiNovember 15, 2016
- Arsenal’s Shkodran Mustafi pulls off brilliant touch in Germany training (video)November 15, 2016