Chelsea’s Schürrle winds up Man United’s Rooney saying he wouldn’t get in the German team [Mail on Sunday]
Chelsea midfielder Andre Schürrle has openly question whether Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney would command a starting place in Germany’s starting eleven.
Schürrle was speaking in the build-up to Germany’s visit to Wembley to face England on Tuesday night, and the Chelsea man said:
Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don’t know if he would play.
The Mail on Sunday have seized upon the quote to fire the backpage of their paper with the headline: Rooney wouldn’t get in the Germany team.
For the record, Wayne Rooney has scored nine goals in his last 11 England internationals, while this season the United forward has seven goals and seven assists in club football.
On the other hand, Joachim Löw’s Germany ended their qualifying campaign unbeaten, with an immaculate record away from home: five games, five wins, 19 goals scored and just five goals conceded.
Moreover, Germany were the highest-scoring team in European World Cup qualification, scoring 36 goals in ten matches, an average of 3.6 goals per game. Mesut Özil was Germany’s leading marksman with eight goals, of which two were penalties. Marco Reus hit the target five times, whilst Thomas Müller, Miroslav Klose, Mario Götze and André Schürrle each scored four goals.
A copy of the backpage of the Mail on Sunday can be seen below.
- Andre Schurrle: I left Chelsea because Jose Mourinho didn’t trust me (Quotes)
- Andre Schurrle does a Trip Advisor, recommends Chelsea as a destination
- Ex-Chelsea man Andre Schürrle confirms he’ll be getting a Premier League winner...
- Premier League champion André Schürrle congratulates ex-Chelsea teammates on Twitter
- Spurs youngster Dele Alli pulled off 2 nutmegs during England win (videos)
- Roy Hodgson is pleased with the amount of options at England’s disposal (Video)
- England and Lithuania fans brawl in the stands during Euro 2016 Qualifier (Vine)
- Twitter catches Ross Barkley fever after another impressive England performance (Tweets)
- Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil on Germany’s qualification for Euro 2016 (Video)
- Roy Keane makes a menacing phone call to Thomas Muller in funny Taken parody (Video)
- Eamon Dunphy accuses Germany of being ‘arrogant’ after Ireland defeat (Video)
- Bookies offer giant odds on Germany beating Ireland & the Scotland-Poland match