Chelsea’s Schürrle winds up Man United’s Rooney saying he wouldn’t get in the German team [Mail on Sunday]
- November 16, 2013
Chelsea midfielder Andre Schürrle has openly question whether Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney would command a starting place in Germany’s starting eleven.
Schürrle was speaking in the build-up to Germany’s visit to Wembley to face England on Tuesday night, and the Chelsea man said:
Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don’t know if he would play.
The Mail on Sunday have seized upon the quote to fire the backpage of their paper with the headline: Rooney wouldn’t get in the Germany team.
For the record, Wayne Rooney has scored nine goals in his last 11 England internationals, while this season the United forward has seven goals and seven assists in club football.
On the other hand, Joachim Löw’s Germany ended their qualifying campaign unbeaten, with an immaculate record away from home: five games, five wins, 19 goals scored and just five goals conceded.
Moreover, Germany were the highest-scoring team in European World Cup qualification, scoring 36 goals in ten matches, an average of 3.6 goals per game. Mesut Özil was Germany’s leading marksman with eight goals, of which two were penalties. Marco Reus hit the target five times, whilst Thomas Müller, Miroslav Klose, Mario Götze and André Schürrle each scored four goals.
A copy of the backpage of the Mail on Sunday can be seen below.
- Andre Schurrle does a Trip Advisor, recommends Chelsea as a destination
- Ex-Chelsea man Andre Schürrle confirms he’ll be getting a Premier League winner...
- Premier League champion André Schürrle congratulates ex-Chelsea teammates on Twitter
- Ex-Chelsea man André Schürrle scores his first goal for Wolfsburg [Video]
- Debut highlights of ex-Chelsea man Andre Schurrle for Wolfsburg on his Bundesliga retur...
- Andre Schurrle hails amazing Chelsea after signing for Wolfsburg [video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...