Chelsea’s Schürrle winds up Man United’s Rooney saying he wouldn’t get in the German team [Mail on Sunday]
Chelsea midfielder Andre Schürrle has openly question whether Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney would command a starting place in Germany’s starting eleven.
Schürrle was speaking in the build-up to Germany’s visit to Wembley to face England on Tuesday night, and the Chelsea man said:
Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don’t know if he would play.
The Mail on Sunday have seized upon the quote to fire the backpage of their paper with the headline: Rooney wouldn’t get in the Germany team.
For the record, Wayne Rooney has scored nine goals in his last 11 England internationals, while this season the United forward has seven goals and seven assists in club football.
On the other hand, Joachim Löw’s Germany ended their qualifying campaign unbeaten, with an immaculate record away from home: five games, five wins, 19 goals scored and just five goals conceded.
Moreover, Germany were the highest-scoring team in European World Cup qualification, scoring 36 goals in ten matches, an average of 3.6 goals per game. Mesut Özil was Germany’s leading marksman with eight goals, of which two were penalties. Marco Reus hit the target five times, whilst Thomas Müller, Miroslav Klose, Mario Götze and André Schürrle each scored four goals.
A copy of the backpage of the Mail on Sunday can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Andre Schurrle calls Messi the best of all time, treasures 7-1 Brazil spanking (Video)January 26th, 2016
- Andre Schurrle: I left Chelsea because Jose Mourinho didn’t trust me (Quotes)September 28th, 2015
- Andre Schurrle does a Trip Advisor, recommends Chelsea as a destinationMay 15th, 2015
- Ex-Chelsea man Andre Schürrle confirms he’ll be getting a Premier League winner’s medalMay 14th, 2015
- Joe Hart: Wayne Rooney ‘keeps it real’ with England (Video)May 23rd, 2016
- Harry Kane & Jamie Vardy score as England beat Turkey 2-1 in friendly (Official Highlights)May 23rd, 2016
- England’s Jamie Vardy punches himself in the face after missing chance v Turkey (Video)May 22nd, 2016
- Turkey boss Fatih Terim showed 4th official Harry Kane’s offside goal on his iPhone (Video)May 22nd, 2016
- Man United’s Bastian Schweinsteiger receives excellent news [Bild]May 24th, 2016
- Horrible news for Wolfsburg’s Julian DraxlerApril 14th, 2016
- You can now own the German national team as Lego characters (Videos)April 12th, 2016
- Mesut Ozil scores as Germany dazzle in 4-1 win over Italy (Official Highlights)March 29th, 2016