Chelsea’s Schürrle winds up Man United’s Rooney saying he wouldn’t get in the German team [Mail on Sunday]
- November 16, 2013
Chelsea midfielder Andre Schürrle has openly question whether Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney would command a starting place in Germany’s starting eleven.
Schürrle was speaking in the build-up to Germany’s visit to Wembley to face England on Tuesday night, and the Chelsea man said:
Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don’t know if he would play.
The Mail on Sunday have seized upon the quote to fire the backpage of their paper with the headline: Rooney wouldn’t get in the Germany team.
For the record, Wayne Rooney has scored nine goals in his last 11 England internationals, while this season the United forward has seven goals and seven assists in club football.
On the other hand, Joachim Löw’s Germany ended their qualifying campaign unbeaten, with an immaculate record away from home: five games, five wins, 19 goals scored and just five goals conceded.
Moreover, Germany were the highest-scoring team in European World Cup qualification, scoring 36 goals in ten matches, an average of 3.6 goals per game. Mesut Özil was Germany’s leading marksman with eight goals, of which two were penalties. Marco Reus hit the target five times, whilst Thomas Müller, Miroslav Klose, Mario Götze and André Schürrle each scored four goals.
A copy of the backpage of the Mail on Sunday can be seen below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...