Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich & Arsenal’s Alisher Usmanov need to be punished, says Putin critic to the NY Times
The worlds of politics and football have been combined in an editorial printed by the New York Times overnight on Thursday.
Amid the crisis in the Ukraine over the annexation of Crimea by Russia, Alexey Navalny, an outspoken critic of Vladimir Putin who is currently under house arrest, has called on the American and British governments to sanction not only the Russian leader but also his cronies.
Included in the named cronies are Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and Arsenal’s second largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov.
Mr Navalny made the following comments in an article titled “How to Punish Putin”:
Western nations could deliver a serious blow to the luxurious lifestyles enjoyed by the Kremlin’s cronies who shuttle between Russia and the West. This means freezing the oligarchs’ financial assets and seizing their property.
Such sanctions should primarily target Mr. Putin’s inner circle, the Kremlin mafia who pillage the nation’s wealth, including… the oligarchs Roman A. Abramovich [Chelsea’s owner] and Alisher B. Usmanov [Arsenal’s shareholder].
Real sanctions, such as blocking access to their plush London apartments, will show that Mr. Putin’s folly comes with serious costs.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal boss rules Olivier Giroud out of Burnley game, positive news for Coquelin (Video)September 30, 2016
- Arsenal should start searching for a new manager as Arsene Wenger opens the door for EnglandSeptember 30, 2016
- Arsenal star Alex Iwobi plays FIFA and Chills with Copa 90 (Video)September 29, 2016
- It looks like Theo Walcott is finally making good on his Alexis Sanchez arrival warningSeptember 29, 2016
- Michy Batshuayi produces another social media banger with ‘Leg Day’ Instagram postSeptember 30, 2016
- Chelsea suffer another John Terry blow ahead of their match against Hull [Times]September 30, 2016
- Cesc Fabregas posts amusing comment on a Chelsea Instagram postSeptember 29, 2016
- Chelsea fans are talking about Thorgan Hazard [Tweets]September 29, 2016