Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich & Arsenal’s Alisher Usmanov need to be punished, says Putin critic to the NY Times
The worlds of politics and football have been combined in an editorial printed by the New York Times overnight on Thursday.
Amid the crisis in the Ukraine over the annexation of Crimea by Russia, Alexey Navalny, an outspoken critic of Vladimir Putin who is currently under house arrest, has called on the American and British governments to sanction not only the Russian leader but also his cronies.
Included in the named cronies are Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and Arsenal’s second largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov.
Mr Navalny made the following comments in an article titled “How to Punish Putin”:
Western nations could deliver a serious blow to the luxurious lifestyles enjoyed by the Kremlin’s cronies who shuttle between Russia and the West. This means freezing the oligarchs’ financial assets and seizing their property.
Such sanctions should primarily target Mr. Putin’s inner circle, the Kremlin mafia who pillage the nation’s wealth, including… the oligarchs Roman A. Abramovich [Chelsea’s owner] and Alisher B. Usmanov [Arsenal’s shareholder].
Real sanctions, such as blocking access to their plush London apartments, will show that Mr. Putin’s folly comes with serious costs.
Watch Live Stream
- West Ham’s ballboys get a selfie with Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez (Video)December 3, 2016
- Everyone goes Alexis Sanchez crazy as Chilean guides Arsenal to rout of West Ham [Tweets]December 3, 2016
- Arsenal are big winners from the Sky Blues meltdown v ChelseaDecember 3, 2016
- Carl Jenkinson dropped as Wenger admits he’s been affected by Arsenal fans’ Twitter abuseDecember 3, 2016
- Sergio Aguero really hates David Luiz: Man City star has previous for assault on Chelsea man (video)December 3, 2016
- Unreal irony as BBC silenced by Chelsea security over story on Chelsea cover up (Video)December 3, 2016
- Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham couldn’t believe Luke Freeman’s golazo for Bristol City (Video)December 3, 2016
- Pep Guardiola seriously snubbed Cesc Fabregas after Man City 1 – Chelsea 3 (video)December 3, 2016