Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich & Arsenal’s Alisher Usmanov need to be punished, says Putin critic to the NY Times
The worlds of politics and football have been combined in an editorial printed by the New York Times overnight on Thursday.
Amid the crisis in the Ukraine over the annexation of Crimea by Russia, Alexey Navalny, an outspoken critic of Vladimir Putin who is currently under house arrest, has called on the American and British governments to sanction not only the Russian leader but also his cronies.
Included in the named cronies are Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and Arsenal’s second largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov.
Mr Navalny made the following comments in an article titled “How to Punish Putin”:
Western nations could deliver a serious blow to the luxurious lifestyles enjoyed by the Kremlin’s cronies who shuttle between Russia and the West. This means freezing the oligarchs’ financial assets and seizing their property.
Such sanctions should primarily target Mr. Putin’s inner circle, the Kremlin mafia who pillage the nation’s wealth, including… the oligarchs Roman A. Abramovich [Chelsea’s owner] and Alisher B. Usmanov [Arsenal’s shareholder].
Real sanctions, such as blocking access to their plush London apartments, will show that Mr. Putin’s folly comes with serious costs.
Watch Live Stream
- Spanish media announce bad news concerning Arsenal’s Lucas PerezOctober 27, 2016
- Arsenal fan Troopz is hammered on social media for flip-flopping on Arsene Wenger (Videos)October 27, 2016
- Arsenal 2 – Reading 0: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain at the double (Official highlights)October 27, 2016
- Arsene Wenger gives a fan bad news about Theo Walcott [Instagram Video]October 26, 2016
- The Mourinho-Conte WhatsApp chat after Man United loss at Chelsea [spoof]October 27, 2016
- Cesc Fabregas confirms his fitness to Chelsea boss Antonio Conte with Instagram videoOctober 27, 2016
- Homophobic West Ham fans v Chelsea can’t spell ‘Dimitri Payet’October 27, 2016
- Jose Mourinho apologised twice to the Man United fans after City win (video)October 27, 2016