Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich & Arsenal’s Alisher Usmanov need to be punished, says Putin critic to the NY Times
The worlds of politics and football have been combined in an editorial printed by the New York Times overnight on Thursday.
Amid the crisis in the Ukraine over the annexation of Crimea by Russia, Alexey Navalny, an outspoken critic of Vladimir Putin who is currently under house arrest, has called on the American and British governments to sanction not only the Russian leader but also his cronies.
Included in the named cronies are Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and Arsenal’s second largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov.
Mr Navalny made the following comments in an article titled “How to Punish Putin”:
Western nations could deliver a serious blow to the luxurious lifestyles enjoyed by the Kremlin’s cronies who shuttle between Russia and the West. This means freezing the oligarchs’ financial assets and seizing their property.
Such sanctions should primarily target Mr. Putin’s inner circle, the Kremlin mafia who pillage the nation’s wealth, including… the oligarchs Roman A. Abramovich [Chelsea’s owner] and Alisher B. Usmanov [Arsenal’s shareholder].
Real sanctions, such as blocking access to their plush London apartments, will show that Mr. Putin’s folly comes with serious costs.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal loanee Wojciech Szczesny makes horrendous howler in 3-0 Roma UCL defeat (Video)August 23, 2016
- Man United boss Jose Mourinho spurns Arsenal interest in Phil Jones [Telegraph]August 23, 2016
- Arsene Wenger spent summer trying to sign Antoine Griezmann, move scuppered by Chelsea [Squawka]August 23, 2016
- Arsenal’s Aaron Ramsey gets a new haircut. Photoshoppers make fun [Memes]August 23, 2016
- Chelsea to submit €35m offer to AC Milan for Alessio Romagnoli on Wednesday [Di Marzio]August 23, 2016
- Chelsea fan questions Antonio Conte’s tactics after 3-2 win over Bristol Rovers (Video)August 23, 2016
- A terrible stat about Chelsea’s defenceAugust 23, 2016
- Michy Batshuayi stars for Chelsea v Bristol Rovers (Videos)August 23, 2016