Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich & Arsenal’s Alisher Usmanov need to be punished, says Putin critic to the NY Times
- March 21, 2014
The worlds of politics and football have been combined in an editorial printed by the New York Times overnight on Thursday.
Amid the crisis in the Ukraine over the annexation of Crimea by Russia, Alexey Navalny, an outspoken critic of Vladimir Putin who is currently under house arrest, has called on the American and British governments to sanction not only the Russian leader but also his cronies.
Included in the named cronies are Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and Arsenal’s second largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov.
Mr Navalny made the following comments in an article titled “How to Punish Putin”:
Western nations could deliver a serious blow to the luxurious lifestyles enjoyed by the Kremlin’s cronies who shuttle between Russia and the West. This means freezing the oligarchs’ financial assets and seizing their property.
Such sanctions should primarily target Mr. Putin’s inner circle, the Kremlin mafia who pillage the nation’s wealth, including… the oligarchs Roman A. Abramovich [Chelsea’s owner] and Alisher B. Usmanov [Arsenal’s shareholder].
Real sanctions, such as blocking access to their plush London apartments, will show that Mr. Putin’s folly comes with serious costs.
- Arsenal fans (incl. Piers Morgan) mock Robin van Persie on Twitter ahead of Fenerbahçe ...
- ‘I am a Lion': Lukas Podolski officially unveiled as a Galatasaray player
- Galatasaray confirm Lukas Podolski will sign contract today, drawing his Arsenal career...
- Hector Bellerin speaks about how he felt when he first heard fans sing his name [Video]
- Arsenal full-back Nacho Monreal shows his patriotic side with Ultimate XI choices [Video]
- Barcelona have beaten Chelsea to signing of €35m Arda Turan [TalkSport]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi