- Best Memes: Arda Turan throws his boot at a linesman during Atletico v Barcelona [Video]
- What. A. Hit! Nicolás Colazo (Boca Juniors) v Vélez Sarsfield
- Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier in video interview with The Guardian
- Some examples of Diego Costa’s history for violence in one well-made infographic [Picture]
- Quality fan footage vine of Christian Eriksen’s free-kick v Sheffield United
Chelsea’s John Obi Mikel scores rare (Messi-esque!) goal for Nigeria v Uruguay
Chelsea fans were in shock on Thursday evening as a player that has never scored a Premier League goal during his seven years at Stamford Bridge, produced a quality equaliser for Nigeria against Uruguay in the Confederations Cup.
With rumours rife that Obi Mikel was heading to Galatasaray, since quashed, perhaps Jose Mourinho should hold on to the Nigerian midfielder in case Frank Lampard stops banging in the goals from midfield for Chelsea.
After all, and perhaps because the Chelsea midfielder plays higher up the pitch for his country, John Obi Mikel now has four goals in 50 appearances for Nigeria.
On 37 minutes, with Uruguay one-up, Obi Mikel received the ball just inside the area, skinned Diego Lugano and curled a left footed shot (compared to Lionel Messi by some Chelsea fans) past Fernando Muslera.
Uruguay would go on to to win the game thanks to Diego Forlan goal.
Video of the rare John Obi Mikel goal below. A GIF can be seen here.
John Obi Mikel momentarily transforms into Lionel Messi, and Nigeria are level. Spain through to semi-finals as things stand.
— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) June 20, 2013
John Obi Mikel has scored? Does football just sort of stop now! I didn't even know this was possible
— John Askill (@JohnAskill) June 21, 2013
- Updated: June 21, 2013