Chelsea’s John Obi Mikel scores rare (Messi-esque!) goal for Nigeria v Uruguay
- June 21, 2013
Chelsea fans were in shock on Thursday evening as a player that has never scored a Premier League goal during his seven years at Stamford Bridge, produced a quality equaliser for Nigeria against Uruguay in the Confederations Cup.
With rumours rife that Obi Mikel was heading to Galatasaray, since quashed, perhaps Jose Mourinho should hold on to the Nigerian midfielder in case Frank Lampard stops banging in the goals from midfield for Chelsea.
After all, and perhaps because the Chelsea midfielder plays higher up the pitch for his country, John Obi Mikel now has four goals in 50 appearances for Nigeria.
On 37 minutes, with Uruguay one-up, Obi Mikel received the ball just inside the area, skinned Diego Lugano and curled a left footed shot (compared to Lionel Messi by some Chelsea fans) past Fernando Muslera.
Uruguay would go on to to win the game thanks to Diego Forlan goal.
Video of the rare John Obi Mikel goal below. A GIF can be seen here.
John Obi Mikel momentarily transforms into Lionel Messi, and Nigeria are level. Spain through to semi-finals as things stand.
— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) June 20, 2013
John Obi Mikel has scored? Does football just sort of stop now! I didn't even know this was possible
— John Askill (@JohnAskill) June 21, 2013
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...