Chelsea’s John Obi Mikel scores rare (Messi-esque!) goal for Nigeria v Uruguay
- June 21, 2013
Chelsea fans were in shock on Thursday evening as a player that has never scored a Premier League goal during his seven years at Stamford Bridge, produced a quality equaliser for Nigeria against Uruguay in the Confederations Cup.
With rumours rife that Obi Mikel was heading to Galatasaray, since quashed, perhaps Jose Mourinho should hold on to the Nigerian midfielder in case Frank Lampard stops banging in the goals from midfield for Chelsea.
After all, and perhaps because the Chelsea midfielder plays higher up the pitch for his country, John Obi Mikel now has four goals in 50 appearances for Nigeria.
On 37 minutes, with Uruguay one-up, Obi Mikel received the ball just inside the area, skinned Diego Lugano and curled a left footed shot (compared to Lionel Messi by some Chelsea fans) past Fernando Muslera.
Uruguay would go on to to win the game thanks to Diego Forlan goal.
Video of the rare John Obi Mikel goal below. A GIF can be seen here.
John Obi Mikel momentarily transforms into Lionel Messi, and Nigeria are level. Spain through to semi-finals as things stand.
— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) June 20, 2013
John Obi Mikel has scored? Does football just sort of stop now! I didn't even know this was possible
— John Askill (@JohnAskill) June 21, 2013
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...