Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku limps off in Belgium win over Tunisia, injury not serious
- June 8, 2014
Belgium can ill-afford an injury to Romelu Lukaku.
Everyone’s tip to be dark horses at the World Cup have strength in depth throughout their squad, but with an injury ruling out Christian Benteke, they can ill-afford to lose the Chelsea striker.
For Lukaku, the World Cup is becoming increasingly important as he looks for a move away from Stamford Bridge, in order to play first team football.
Lukaku came on just after the hour mark on Saturday night, in Belgium’s final friendly before departing for Brazil, a 1-0 win over Tunisia.
But, picked up an ankle injury and was taken off for the final few minutes of the match.
Initial reports suggest it is not a serious injury and Lukaku will not go the way of Franck Ribery and Marco Reus, two big-name players to pull out the World Cup in recent days.
Belgium coach Marc Wilmots said: “He suffered an injury but according to doctors, it is not too serious.”
Wilmots added: “At first glance anyway. It will be discussed in more depth tomorrow (Sunday) But hopefully three or four days of rest will suffice to get back to his feet.”
- Benteke’s transfer fee to Liverpool dwarfs Eden Hazard’s cost, or what Man ...
- Thibaut Courtois praises Wales and Gareth Bale after Belgium’s defeat [Video]
- Wales v Belgium: The big match preview for the Euro 2016 qualifier [Video]
- Belgium paper Sportwereld had an eye-catching picture of Man United’s Marouane Fe...
- Outrageous Acca: Back Belgium, Italy & Holland to win at enormous 28/1 odds!!!
- Belgium release brilliant fan footage of game v France [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...