Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku limps off in Belgium win over Tunisia, injury not serious
Belgium can ill-afford an injury to Romelu Lukaku.
Everyone’s tip to be dark horses at the World Cup have strength in depth throughout their squad, but with an injury ruling out Christian Benteke, they can ill-afford to lose the Chelsea striker.
For Lukaku, the World Cup is becoming increasingly important as he looks for a move away from Stamford Bridge, in order to play first team football.
Lukaku came on just after the hour mark on Saturday night, in Belgium’s final friendly before departing for Brazil, a 1-0 win over Tunisia.
But, picked up an ankle injury and was taken off for the final few minutes of the match.
Initial reports suggest it is not a serious injury and Lukaku will not go the way of Franck Ribery and Marco Reus, two big-name players to pull out the World Cup in recent days.
Belgium coach Marc Wilmots said: “He suffered an injury but according to doctors, it is not too serious.”
Wilmots added: “At first glance anyway. It will be discussed in more depth tomorrow (Sunday) But hopefully three or four days of rest will suffice to get back to his feet.”
Watch Live Stream
- Thierry Henry talks about his Belgium appointment (Video)August 28, 2016
- Belgium boss Roberto Martinez explains why Thierry Henry is the perfect assistant coach (Video)August 26, 2016
- Thierry Henry named as assistant boss to Belgium manager Roberto MartinezAugust 26, 2016
- Vincent Kompany promises to donate all future Belgium earnings to charity (Video)August 10, 2016
- Cesc Fabregas addresses Chelsea Exit rumours, insists he’s staying and has Conte’s backing [Instagram]August 28, 2016
- N’Golo Kante amused by his new nickname at Chelsea (Video)August 28, 2016
- Chelsea set to sign Fiorentina’s Marcos Alonso [Marca]August 28, 2016
- Frank Lampard talks about returning to Chelsea (Video)August 28, 2016
- Koeman reveals Romelu Lukaku’s brilliantly quaint method of staying at EvertonAugust 20, 2016
- Everton’s Yannick Bolasie claims Chelsea target Romelu Lukaku nagged him to join (Video)August 18, 2016
- Updates on Chelsea’s pursuit of Everton’s Romelu Lukaku [Evening Standard]August 8, 2016
- Everton claim they have not received a Chelsea bid for Romelu Lukaku [Telegraph]August 6, 2016