Chelsea offer €38m for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia [Gazzetta dello Sport]
— Kristof Terreur (@HLNinEngeland) August 11, 2014
Do Chelsea really need another central defender?
Despite having John Terry, Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic all available for the coming season and plenty of depth in full back areas, Jose Mourinho is still keen for another centre back, according to a report in Gazzetta dello Sport today.
The pink Italian newspaper reports on Monday that Chelsea will offer 38 million euros for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia.
Jose Mourinho has reportedly convinced Roman Abramovich that he needs another defender and Benatia was one of the most impressive in Serie A last season.
Roma paid Udinese just 13.5 million euros for Benatia last summer so look likely to bag a major windfall should he leave.
Manchester United are also keen on Benatia, but Louis van Gaal currently prefers a left-sided central defender.
Gazzetta add that Mourinho is putting on pressure at “very high levels” and the Chelsea boss is keen to make his final signing before the campaign starts this weekend.
Chelsea’s opening game is at Burnley a week today.
Watch Live Stream
- Chelsea fans react to docked points story [Tweets]December 11, 2016
- David Luiz films his Chelsea trio in great mood ahead of West Brom (videos)December 10, 2016
- Arsenal fan Moh slams ‘disgusting’ Chelsea over the sex abuse scandal (Video)December 10, 2016
- Chelsea v West Brom: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsDecember 10, 2016
- Lazio v Roma: Watch a live stream of the Rome derby in Serie ADecember 3, 2016
- Roma’s Diego Perotti admits his rabona wondergoal was meant to be a cross (Video)November 25, 2016
- Diego Perotti scores incredible rabona chip in Roma’s 4-1 win over Viktoria Plzen (Video)November 25, 2016
- Man United target Roma’s Antonio Rudiger but are considering selling 4 defenders [Mail]October 28, 2016