Chelsea offer €38m for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia [Gazzetta dello Sport]
- August 11, 2014
— Kristof Terreur (@HLNinEngeland) August 11, 2014
Do Chelsea really need another central defender?
Despite having John Terry, Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic all available for the coming season and plenty of depth in full back areas, Jose Mourinho is still keen for another centre back, according to a report in Gazzetta dello Sport today.
The pink Italian newspaper reports on Monday that Chelsea will offer 38 million euros for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia.
Jose Mourinho has reportedly convinced Roman Abramovich that he needs another defender and Benatia was one of the most impressive in Serie A last season.
Roma paid Udinese just 13.5 million euros for Benatia last summer so look likely to bag a major windfall should he leave.
Manchester United are also keen on Benatia, but Louis van Gaal currently prefers a left-sided central defender.
Gazzetta add that Mourinho is putting on pressure at “very high levels” and the Chelsea boss is keen to make his final signing before the campaign starts this weekend.
Chelsea’s opening game is at Burnley a week today.
- Chelsea fail with two bids for PSG defender Marquinhos [Best Tweets]
- Papy Djilobodji comments after completing move to Chelsea [Official]
- Heathrow Airport trolls Arsenal & Chelsea [Tweet]
- Chelsea closing in on the signing of Reading centre back Michael Hector [Sky Sports]
- Done Deal: Nantes defender Papy Djilobodji joins Chelsea [Tweet]
- Chelsea winger Victor Moses joins West Ham on season long loan
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...