- Jermain Defoe’s dream five-a-side team features Luka Modric and Steven Gerrard [Video]
- Man United target Aymeric Laporte wants move but Bilbao won’t sell for less than £31m buy-out clause
- Real Madrid unveil new signing Lucas Silva to the media [Video]
- Victor Valdes makes his first Man United appearance for the U21s vs Liverpool U21s [Vine]
- Robin van Persie: Scoring five goals against Cambridge isn’t easy but we must make our own luck
Chelsea offer €38m for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia [Gazzetta dello Sport]
— Kristof Terreur (@HLNinEngeland) August 11, 2014
Do Chelsea really need another central defender?
Despite having John Terry, Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic all available for the coming season and plenty of depth in full back areas, Jose Mourinho is still keen for another centre back, according to a report in Gazzetta dello Sport today.
The pink Italian newspaper reports on Monday that Chelsea will offer 38 million euros for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia.
Jose Mourinho has reportedly convinced Roman Abramovich that he needs another defender and Benatia was one of the most impressive in Serie A last season.
Roma paid Udinese just 13.5 million euros for Benatia last summer so look likely to bag a major windfall should he leave.
Manchester United are also keen on Benatia, but Louis van Gaal currently prefers a left-sided central defender.
Gazzetta add that Mourinho is putting on pressure at “very high levels” and the Chelsea boss is keen to make his final signing before the campaign starts this weekend.
Chelsea’s opening game is at Burnley a week today.
- Updated: August 11, 2014