Chelsea offer €38m for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia [Gazzetta dello Sport]
- August 11, 2014
— Kristof Terreur (@HLNinEngeland) August 11, 2014
Do Chelsea really need another central defender?
Despite having John Terry, Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic all available for the coming season and plenty of depth in full back areas, Jose Mourinho is still keen for another centre back, according to a report in Gazzetta dello Sport today.
The pink Italian newspaper reports on Monday that Chelsea will offer 38 million euros for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia.
Jose Mourinho has reportedly convinced Roman Abramovich that he needs another defender and Benatia was one of the most impressive in Serie A last season.
Roma paid Udinese just 13.5 million euros for Benatia last summer so look likely to bag a major windfall should he leave.
Manchester United are also keen on Benatia, but Louis van Gaal currently prefers a left-sided central defender.
Gazzetta add that Mourinho is putting on pressure at “very high levels” and the Chelsea boss is keen to make his final signing before the campaign starts this weekend.
Chelsea’s opening game is at Burnley a week today.
- Arsenal’s Petr Cech wants to play until he’s 40, bashes Chelsea Twitter tro...
- Chelsea will bid £8m for Asmir Begovic, as Stoke struggle to sign Xherdan Shaqiri [Tele...
- Newcastle fight the Black Cats to sign Chelsea’s Marco van Ginkel on loan [Voetba...
- New Petr Cech interview: On Mourinho, why he joined Arsenal & abuse from Chelsea f...
- Chelsea target Arda Turan expects to sign for Barcelona on Friday [Mundo Deportivo]
- Behind the scenes on Petr Cech’s first day at Arsenal [video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi