- Jermain Defoe’s dream five-a-side team features Luka Modric and Steven Gerrard [Video]
- Man United target Aymeric Laporte wants move but Bilbao won’t sell for less than £31m buy-out clause
- Real Madrid unveil new signing Lucas Silva to the media [Video]
- Victor Valdes makes his first Man United appearance for the U21s vs Liverpool U21s [Vine]
- Robin van Persie: Scoring five goals against Cambridge isn’t easy but we must make our own luck
Chelsea keeper Thibaut Courtois pulls off wonder saves for Atletico Madrid at Valencia
The continuing brilliance of Thibaut Courtois means Chelsea will eventually have to make a decision about the young Belgian keeper.
It looks likely that this could well come in the summer, after the World Cup, when Courtois could have established himself as the best custodian on the planet.
Courtois was the man of the match for Atletico Madrid on Tuesday evening as he kept out Valencia on numerous occasions in a game Los Che would finally equalise in late on to square it up at 1-1.
Since it was the first game of a two-legged Copa del Rey encounter and Atletico are terrific at home, Courtois could well have won the tie with his heroics at the Mestalla.
There remain suggestions that Barcelona will move for Courtois but Chelsea seem unwilling to allow him to leave to a “Champions League rival.”
If these performances continue happening on a regular basis, Chelsea may well have to replace Petr Cech with Courtois, which is quite an incredible state of affairs.
Thibaut Courtois’ best three saves versus Valencia are on the video below.
- Updated: January 8, 2014