Liverpool’s Mignolet wants to be Belgium’s starting keeper, Chelsea’s Courtois accuses him of disrespect
Courtois having another go at Mignolet. He sounds like a spoilt little brat, I suppose that what happens when you join Chelsea.
— MrBoywunder (@MrBoywunder) February 19, 2014
Courtois needs to grow up, or to be punched by Mignolet. Either one I'm cool with.
— James Wynn (@JimWynn7) February 19, 2014
Fight! Fight! Fight!
A war of words is bubbling up in the Belgium national team amongst their two goalies Thibaut Courtois and Simon Mignolet.
Courtois, who is currently in his second season on-loan with Atletico Madrid from Chelsea, has taken offence to comments made by Liverpool’s Mignolet’s about their battle to be Belgium’s World Cup #1.
Several weeks ago Courtois fired his first verbal assault at the Reds goalie saying “In Spain, I hear no goalkeeper saying they’re aiming for the place of Casillas. Not De Gea, not Valdes, not Reina. It’s the opposite – they back Casillas. Simon can say whatever he wants, but I think I’ve already saved enough points for Belgium and I’m playing good games for Atletico. He has to stay humble and respectful.”
Now Courtois has been pressed on those comments in the Belgium media, however the Chelsea stopper remains pissed off with the Liverpool keeper for his public ambitions to become the number one pick in goal.
Courtois has barked “It shows that you do not accept the choice of the coach, and at the same time you show no respect for the current number one. But I do not want my statements to appear like last time. Then it sounded like I said Mignolet may show no ambition. That’s not true. I understand that he has the ambition to become the number one in the Belgian goal, only you should also show respect for those who play.”
Watch Live Stream
- Jurgen Klopp admits that Simon Mignolet isn’t happy with his current situation (Video)October 24, 2016
- Liverpool benchwarmer Simon Mignolet jokes about his new role (Instagram Video)October 21, 2016
- Simon Mignolet posts hilarious Ivan Drago Instagram jokes after Liverpool winSeptember 10, 2016
- Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet unfazed by transfer speculation (video)August 28, 2016
- Chelsea fans need not worry about The Sun’s Thibaut Courtois story todayNovember 27, 2016
- The Sun challenge the Telegraph with a negative story about Chelsea’s Thibaut CourtoisNovember 27, 2016
- Two of Chelsea’s best players set to agree new deals [Telegraph]November 24, 2016
- Marc Wilmots accuses Chelsea’s Courtois of being a mole, reveals Thibaut’s criticisms of Conte (L’Equipe Video)November 22, 2016