Chelsea captain John Terry to play in Stiliyan Petrov Charity Match on Sunday
John Terry does not usually get too much good press, so this afternoon should see the Chelsea captain lauded by all and sundry for a fine gesture towards Stiliyan Petrov, right?!
Terry will be appearing at Celtic Park on Sunday for a Stiliyan XI against a Celtic XI to support Stiliyan Petrov’s charities.
The former Celtic and Aston Villa midfielder retired from professional football in May and is in remission from Leukaemia.
Henrik Larsson and Neil Lennon will also be in the Celtic side whilst Dimitar Berbatov, Gareth Barry, Gabriel Agbonlayor and Paul Lambert are among those set to play in the same side as Terry.
Despite earning a reputation, rightly or wrongly, as one of the most loathsome characters in football, Stiliyan Petrov only has great things to say about JT.
Petrov: “Before I was ill I knew John only from shaking hands before kick-off in matches, and as a fierce competitor. We had also met and talked at the meetings the Premier League hold for captains before the start of each season. But from the moment the news came out about my illness he was one of the first to get in touch and he has carried on being supportive ever since. He doesn’t always have an easy time with the fans, but I have seen a very different man to that image.”
The Bulgarian added: “He has gone out of his way to encourage me at different times – always sending messages and texts while I was going through treatment, even though sometimes it might have been a month before I felt strong enough to return them. When I was planning this game he was the first to sign up. I rang and asked if he could take part and he just said: ‘Tell me when and I’ll be there. Who wouldn’t want to play in the atmosphere of a sold-out Celtic Park?’”
Watch Live Stream
- Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish owns the worst 2015-16 Premier League statMay 16th, 2016
- Fantastic: Aston Villa fans celebrated Olivier Giroud’s goal more than the Arsenal fans (Vi...May 15th, 2016
- Battle for 2nd: Arsenal & Spurs confirmed line ups on final day of the seasonMay 15th, 2016
- Aston Villa fans stage an ‘inflatable’ protest v Newcastle, it was very funny (Videos)May 7th, 2016
- New Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers: I turned down PL to manage one of biggest clubs in world (Video)May 23rd, 2016
- Celtic appoint ex-Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers as their new managerMay 20th, 2016
- Arsenal line up a £10m bid for Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney [Daily Record]May 17th, 2016
- Born in 2000, Celtic’s Jack Aitchison (16) scores with first touch v Motherwell (Video ...May 15th, 2016
- Chelsea fans say the love story with Jose Mourinho is over now he’s joining Man United (Video)May 24th, 2016
- Romelu Lukaku’s summer move from Everton to Chelsea feels like it’s getting closer [E...May 24th, 2016
- ‘I felt lost’ : Atletico Madrid’s Fernando Torres reflects on his dark days at ...May 23rd, 2016
- Arsenal target Alvaro Morata appears to confirm he is leaving Juventus [Instagram]May 23rd, 2016