Chelsea are set to buy Samuel Eto’o if Rooney stays at Man United [Star]
The backpage of the Star on Monday claims that Chelsea are now chasing Samuel Eto’o from Russian club Anji Makhachkala.
According to hacks David Woods and Steve Brenner, Chelsea’s interest in Eto’o is secondary to the Blues long-standing interest in trying to sign Wayne Rooney from Manchester United.
The Star report:
Jose Mourinho is looking at making a shock move for Samuel Eto’o – if Chelsea fail in their bid to land Wayne Rooney.
The Blues had been confident of prising England star Rooney away from Manchester United. But with the champions insisting they will not be selling, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is not willing to pay a huge fee for the 27-year-old.
It is understood any increase in their second bid of £25m will not be a major one – and nowhere near as high as £30m.
That has led Mourinho to perform an about turn on his insistence that Rooney was his only transfer target. He has turned to experienced Cameroon striker Eto’o.
Seasoned transfer rumour cynics will note that the report in the Star fails to carry any quotes, and moreover it seems to shed very little new information on Chelsea’s pursuit of Rooney and Eto’o.
Last week Spanish news agency El Confidencial reported that Chelsea and Arsenal were both interested in the Cameroonian legend Eto’o after the financial bubble at Anji burst. Overnight, the club announced that they were slashing their annual budget to $50-70m fromf $180m a season, all their top players have been put up for sale, and they sacked their coach after 16 days.
Chelsea were tipped to make a move for Eto’o as Jose Mourinho managed the forward during his time at Inter Milan.
The four-time African Player of the Year has fired in goals throughout his career and his time in Dagestan has been no exception.
The 32-year-old has already scored twice in the opening four games of the 2013-14 season, while last campaign Eto’o scored 18 goals in 29 games for both club and country.
Watch Live Stream
- Thibaut Courtois puts an end to Real Madrid rumours, insists he’s staying at Chelsea (Video)May 27th, 2016
- Chelsea chose the wrong day to bid their fans a Good Morning [Tweets]May 27th, 2016
- Chelsea fans turn on Jose Mourinho following his love-in at Man United [Tweets]May 27th, 2016
- The full list of Official Jose Mourinho Merchandise is staggering, and ridiculous [Graphic]May 26th, 2016
- Man United legend Rio Ferdinand reveals Paul Pogba, Adnan Januzaj & Jesse Lingard used to lo...May 27th, 2016
- Wayne Rooney lashes home 52nd England goal against Australia (Video)May 27th, 2016
- Marcus Rashford becomes youngest ever player to score on England debut (Videos)May 27th, 2016
- Twitter goes nuts as Man Utd’s Marcus Rashford scores 135 seconds into his England debutMay 27th, 2016