Chelsea are set to buy Samuel Eto’o if Rooney stays at Man United [Star]
The backpage of the Star on Monday claims that Chelsea are now chasing Samuel Eto’o from Russian club Anji Makhachkala.
According to hacks David Woods and Steve Brenner, Chelsea’s interest in Eto’o is secondary to the Blues long-standing interest in trying to sign Wayne Rooney from Manchester United.
The Star report:
Jose Mourinho is looking at making a shock move for Samuel Eto’o – if Chelsea fail in their bid to land Wayne Rooney.
The Blues had been confident of prising England star Rooney away from Manchester United. But with the champions insisting they will not be selling, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is not willing to pay a huge fee for the 27-year-old.
It is understood any increase in their second bid of £25m will not be a major one – and nowhere near as high as £30m.
That has led Mourinho to perform an about turn on his insistence that Rooney was his only transfer target. He has turned to experienced Cameroon striker Eto’o.
Seasoned transfer rumour cynics will note that the report in the Star fails to carry any quotes, and moreover it seems to shed very little new information on Chelsea’s pursuit of Rooney and Eto’o.
Last week Spanish news agency El Confidencial reported that Chelsea and Arsenal were both interested in the Cameroonian legend Eto’o after the financial bubble at Anji burst. Overnight, the club announced that they were slashing their annual budget to $50-70m fromf $180m a season, all their top players have been put up for sale, and they sacked their coach after 16 days.
Chelsea were tipped to make a move for Eto’o as Jose Mourinho managed the forward during his time at Inter Milan.
The four-time African Player of the Year has fired in goals throughout his career and his time in Dagestan has been no exception.
The 32-year-old has already scored twice in the opening four games of the 2013-14 season, while last campaign Eto’o scored 18 goals in 29 games for both club and country.
Watch Live Stream
- Done Deal: Former Man United & Newcastle midfielder Gabriel Obertan moves to RussiaAugust 24, 2016
- Anzhi’s Bernard Berisha saves a pitch invader from being arrested (Video)August 1, 2016
- Anzhi Makhachkala footballer Gasan Magomedov (20) shot dead in his carJanuary 4, 2015
- Anzhi Makhachkala 0 – CSKA Moscow 3March 24, 2014
- Despite Cesc Fabregas claims, Chelsea are still trying to sell the Spaniard [Gazzetta]August 29, 2016
- Chelsea fans take to social media to slam Man City’s Sergio AgueroAugust 29, 2016
- Man United & Chelsea told what they have to pay to sign Fabinho [L’Equipe]August 29, 2016
- Man City & Chelsea stars plus Marcus Rashford & Alexis Sanchez in the BBC XI of the weekAugust 29, 2016
- EA Sports reveal FIFA 17 ratings after getting James, Rashford and co. to rate themselves (Video)August 29, 2016
- Olivier Giroud discusses Arsenal’s title chances & hails Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s influence at Man UnitedAugust 29, 2016
- Twitter explodes as rumours circulate that Jordan Henderson will replace Wayne Rooney as England captainAugust 29, 2016
- Man City fans prove Sergio Aguero didn’t connect with elbow & Andre Marriner saw incidentAugust 29, 2016