- Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe & Marcelo make fun of James Rodriguez’s awful touch in Real Madrid training [Video]
- Real Madrid release statement on Michel Platini’s support for German player to win Ballon d’Or
- Opta analyst urges footballers to stop playing diagonal cross-field passes [Video]
- Barcelona confirm ex-Arsenal man Thomas Vermaelean out for 4-6 months; Surgery on Tuesday
- Jokes! Cristiano Ronaldo held back by Pepe to stop him fighting Gareth Bale [Video]
Chelsea are determined to sign Benfica’s Nemanja Matic in January [Record]
An old transfer chestnut is dredged up by Portuguese paper Record on Boxing Day as Chelsea are rumoured to be hell bent on signing Benfica’s Nemanja Matic in January.
Of course, if the rumour proves true, it will be the second time Chelsea would sign Matic in his career.
Matic played against Chelsea in the 2012-13 Europa League final in Amsterdam, and he had a superb last campaign for Benfica establishing himself as one of the top young defensive midfielders in Europe.
The 25-year-old is believed to be Mourinho’s first choice to fill the central midfield role at Chelsea, despite failing to make the breakthrough at Stamford Bridge when he moved to London in 2009.
The Serbian was initially loaned to Vitesse Arnhem in Holland before being transferred to Benfica as part of the deal that took David Luiz to Chelsea.
Matic is expected to cost upward of £30m, with the central midfielder also heavily linked to Manchester City and PSG. City, in fact, have reportedly already offered Javi Garcia plus cash to sign Matic, but Benfica were uninterested by their offer.
- Updated: December 26, 2013