Chelsea are determined to sign Benfica’s Nemanja Matic in January [Record]
- December 26, 2013
An old transfer chestnut is dredged up by Portuguese paper Record on Boxing Day as Chelsea are rumoured to be hell bent on signing Benfica’s Nemanja Matic in January.
Of course, if the rumour proves true, it will be the second time Chelsea would sign Matic in his career.
Matic played against Chelsea in the 2012-13 Europa League final in Amsterdam, and he had a superb last campaign for Benfica establishing himself as one of the top young defensive midfielders in Europe.
The 25-year-old is believed to be Mourinho’s first choice to fill the central midfield role at Chelsea, despite failing to make the breakthrough at Stamford Bridge when he moved to London in 2009.
The Serbian was initially loaned to Vitesse Arnhem in Holland before being transferred to Benfica as part of the deal that took David Luiz to Chelsea.
Matic is expected to cost upward of £30m, with the central midfielder also heavily linked to Manchester City and PSG. City, in fact, have reportedly already offered Javi Garcia plus cash to sign Matic, but Benfica were uninterested by their offer.
- Benfica fan asks Man United target Nico Gaitan to stay at the club. He replies “w...
- Hero: Luisao stopped the Benfica team bus to give an 11 year old fan his shirt [Instagram]
- Benfica 2 – PSG 3: Goals from Lucas Moura & Lucas Digne sealed the Parisians...
- Benfica v PSG: Watch a Live Stream of the pre-season friendly
- Rafael’s agent confirms Man United & Benfica are negotiating over Nico Gaita...
- Man United restart talks with Benfica for Nico Gaitan. Offer cash plus Chicharito [A Bola]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi