Chelsea are determined to sign Benfica’s Nemanja Matic in January [Record]
- December 26, 2013
An old transfer chestnut is dredged up by Portuguese paper Record on Boxing Day as Chelsea are rumoured to be hell bent on signing Benfica’s Nemanja Matic in January.
Of course, if the rumour proves true, it will be the second time Chelsea would sign Matic in his career.
Matic played against Chelsea in the 2012-13 Europa League final in Amsterdam, and he had a superb last campaign for Benfica establishing himself as one of the top young defensive midfielders in Europe.
The 25-year-old is believed to be Mourinho’s first choice to fill the central midfield role at Chelsea, despite failing to make the breakthrough at Stamford Bridge when he moved to London in 2009.
The Serbian was initially loaned to Vitesse Arnhem in Holland before being transferred to Benfica as part of the deal that took David Luiz to Chelsea.
Matic is expected to cost upward of £30m, with the central midfielder also heavily linked to Manchester City and PSG. City, in fact, have reportedly already offered Javi Garcia plus cash to sign Matic, but Benfica were uninterested by their offer.
- Liverpool fans aren’t happy with reports Lazar Markovic may be going back to Benf...
- Manchester United agree terms with Benfica midfielder Nicolas Gaitan [Sky Italia]
- Shocking: Benfica boss Jorge Jesus is taking over at Sporting Lisbon [Portuguese Papers...
- Man United to seal Nico Gaitan’s signing from Benfica by selling Angel di Maria [...
- Man United may offload Nani to Benfica in the deal to sign Nico Gaitan [Sapo]
- Man United fans joke about signing Nico Gaitan again [Best Tweets]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi