Celtic reinstated into Champions League after UEFA expel Legia Warsaw for fielding ineligible player
- August 8, 2014
In one of the day’s biggest stories, Celtic have been sensationally reinstated into the Champions League after UEFA decided to expel Legia Warsaw for fielding an ineligible player.
Although Legia defeated Celtic emphatically over two legs, triumphing 6-1 on aggregate, they have been kicked out of the competition for bringing on an ineligible player for the last few minutes in the 2-0 second leg victory at Murrayfield.
Bartosz Bereszynski only played for four minutes but he was still suspended in the eyes of UEFA. Handed a three match ban in a Europa League game last season, Bereszynski sat out the second qualifying round ties against St. Pat’s as well as the first leg against Celtic. However, Legia did not register the player for the second qualifying round so those games didn’t count.
UEFA released a statement saying the following: “Legia have been sanctioned for fielding an ineligible player (article 18 of the Uefa Champions League regulations and article 21 of the disciplinary regulations). The match has been declared as forfeit meaning Legia Warsaw have lost the match 3-0.
As a consequence, Celtic have qualified for the Uefa Champions League play-offs on away goals (agg: 4-4) and Legia will compete in the Uefa Europa League play-offs.
In addition the player Bartosz Bereszynski has been suspended for one additional Uefa competition match for which he would be otherwise eligible. This suspension shall be added to the remaining two match suspension which the player still has to serve in accordance with the Control and Disciplinary Body decision of 13 February 2014.”
Celtic were drawn to play Slovenian side Maribor in the play-off round of the Champions League.
- Save of the season: Celtic keeper Craig Gordon makes unreal double save v St Johnstone ...
- Celtic legend Shunsuke Nakamura (37) scores trademark free kick beauty in Japan (Video)
- Watch Tyler Blackett meet his new Celtic fans after his loan move from Man United (Videos)
- Celtic legends John Hartson and Chris Sutton slam club after CL playoff exit (video)
- Malmo v Celtic: Watch a Live Stream of the Champions League play-off 2nd leg
- Malmö fans troll Celtic with funny twist on Pink Floyd’s ‘Another Brick In ...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...