Celtic reinstated into Champions League after UEFA expel Legia Warsaw for fielding ineligible player
- August 8, 2014
In one of the day’s biggest stories, Celtic have been sensationally reinstated into the Champions League after UEFA decided to expel Legia Warsaw for fielding an ineligible player.
Although Legia defeated Celtic emphatically over two legs, triumphing 6-1 on aggregate, they have been kicked out of the competition for bringing on an ineligible player for the last few minutes in the 2-0 second leg victory at Murrayfield.
Bartosz Bereszynski only played for four minutes but he was still suspended in the eyes of UEFA. Handed a three match ban in a Europa League game last season, Bereszynski sat out the second qualifying round ties against St. Pat’s as well as the first leg against Celtic. However, Legia did not register the player for the second qualifying round so those games didn’t count.
UEFA released a statement saying the following: “Legia have been sanctioned for fielding an ineligible player (article 18 of the Uefa Champions League regulations and article 21 of the disciplinary regulations). The match has been declared as forfeit meaning Legia Warsaw have lost the match 3-0.
As a consequence, Celtic have qualified for the Uefa Champions League play-offs on away goals (agg: 4-4) and Legia will compete in the Uefa Europa League play-offs.
In addition the player Bartosz Bereszynski has been suspended for one additional Uefa competition match for which he would be otherwise eligible. This suspension shall be added to the remaining two match suspension which the player still has to serve in accordance with the Control and Disciplinary Body decision of 13 February 2014.”
Celtic were drawn to play Slovenian side Maribor in the play-off round of the Champions League.
- Stjarnan 1 – Celtic 4: The Bhoys cruise to victory in the Champions League (Offic...
- Incredible Odds! Back Celtic to beat Starjnan in the Champions League at 4/1!!!
- Stjarnan v Celtic: Watch a Live Stream of the Champions League qualifier
- Jordan Larsson, son of Celtic legend Henrik, scores quality curler for Helsingborg v AI...
- Ex Celtic star Shunsuke Nakamura incredible 94th minute free kick golazo equaliser in J...
- Double Down! 2/1 Celtic to beat Stjarnan in the Champions League!!!
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi