Celebration of the Week: Azizbek Haydarov hugs the referee after Uzbekistan beat Iran
- November 15, 2012
Not all the international matches on Wednesday night were friendlies.
Over in Asia the latest round of 2014 World Cup qualifiers took place, and one of the standout results was Uzbekistan’s 1-0 away win Iran.
The win pushed Uzbekistan to the top of their qualification group, and the joy of being in pole position was evident when referee Ali Hamad Madhad Saif Al Badwawi blew the final whistle.
Immediately after tooting the match’s conclusion, the ref was set upon by Uzbekistan’s Azizbek Haydarov who tried hugging the man in black in wild celebration.
For the record the referee instantly rejected the hug, however the gesture nevertheless raised the spectre of a conspiracy theory after Al Badwawi disallowed a goal from Iranian midfielder Mohammad Noori in the 12th minute due to a debatable offside call.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”259325″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...