Casillas waited for Buffon instead of celebrating after Spain beat Italy on penalties [pictures]
- June 27, 2013
Why are people so fixated on who's the best, Casillas or Buffon? They are both Greats, simple fact!!
— Peter Schmeichel (@Pschmeichel1) June 27, 2013
Massive respect to Iker Casillas!
There were touching scenes between two of the greatest goalkeepers to ever play the game on Thursday evening as Iker Casillas waited to celebrate with his Spanish team mates to first commiserate with Italian keeper Gianluigi Buffon.
Both Casillas and Buffon failed to make a save in a high class penalty shoot-out as Spain won 7-6 on penalties after a goalless draw in 120 minutes.
Even before the penalty shoot-out there was plenty of warm embracing between the two national team captains and some of the pictures below are a true sign of what sportsmanship is about.
It may only have been a Confederations Cup semi-final but this could live long in the memory.
After the pictures, the video at the bottom of this post shows the before and after of the Casillas-Buffon bromance.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi