Brilliant new Puma ad: The Uruguay Phantom of 1950 is already in Brazil!
- November 21, 2013
Now this is how you launch a new football shirt!
Puma have produced a well worked advert stacked with historical context to launch the new Uruguay kit and their clinching of the final spot in Brazil 2014 after the 5-0 aggregate win over Jordan.
To recap, and if you don’t know you will be hearing a lot about this in the coming months, Uruguay beat Brazil in the 1950 World Cup final at the Maracana.
The “Maracanazo” as it became known left an indelible mark on Brazil who seemed set to win the World Cup final in front of a mammoth crowd but 1-0 quickly turned to 2-1 Uruguay and left an indelible mark on the biggest country in South America.
Brazil’s goalkeeper in the 1950 World Cup final, Moacir Barbosa became a pariah in his own country as he was blamed for the turnaround defeat.
And, legend has it that a young Pele had to console his crying father as they listened to the match and promised him that he would personally bring home the Jules Rimey trophy, as he did eight years later.
Uruguay played up the 1950 victory before the second leg with Jordan, honouring 86-year-old Alcides Ghiggia who scored the winning goal and is the sole survivor of the team that secured their second World Cup triumph.
Bearing in mind all the above (if you didn’t know it already), the video below is just excellent!
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...