Brentford miss last-gasp penalty for automatic promotion, Doncaster score on the counter to go up
- April 27, 2013
Doncaster Rovers achieved promotion to the Championship on Saturday, and the manner of their promotion will likely go down in the history books.
Rovers travelled to Brentford on the final day of the League One season, and the hosts knew that a win, any win, would send them up.
In injury time the Bees looked dead-certs to achieve their goals as Brentford won a penalty which on-loan Fulham striker Marcello Trotta took responsibility for.
Trotta chose power over precision, and that proved his spot-kick downfall as the ball crashed against the crossbar and stayed out.
But then the drama stepped up a notch.
Having seen their woodwork rattled, Doncaster immediately launched a counter-attack which ended with James Coppinger finishing the move and securing an unbelievable promotion.
Watch the crazy last-gasp footage below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...