Brentford miss last-gasp penalty for automatic promotion, Doncaster score on the counter to go up
- April 27, 2013
Doncaster Rovers achieved promotion to the Championship on Saturday, and the manner of their promotion will likely go down in the history books.
Rovers travelled to Brentford on the final day of the League One season, and the hosts knew that a win, any win, would send them up.
In injury time the Bees looked dead-certs to achieve their goals as Brentford won a penalty which on-loan Fulham striker Marcello Trotta took responsibility for.
Trotta chose power over precision, and that proved his spot-kick downfall as the ball crashed against the crossbar and stayed out.
But then the drama stepped up a notch.
Having seen their woodwork rattled, Doncaster immediately launched a counter-attack which ended with James Coppinger finishing the move and securing an unbelievable promotion.
Watch the crazy last-gasp footage below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi