Brentford miss last-gasp penalty for automatic promotion, Doncaster score on the counter to go up
- April 27, 2013
Doncaster Rovers achieved promotion to the Championship on Saturday, and the manner of their promotion will likely go down in the history books.
Rovers travelled to Brentford on the final day of the League One season, and the hosts knew that a win, any win, would send them up.
In injury time the Bees looked dead-certs to achieve their goals as Brentford won a penalty which on-loan Fulham striker Marcello Trotta took responsibility for.
Trotta chose power over precision, and that proved his spot-kick downfall as the ball crashed against the crossbar and stayed out.
But then the drama stepped up a notch.
Having seen their woodwork rattled, Doncaster immediately launched a counter-attack which ended with James Coppinger finishing the move and securing an unbelievable promotion.
Watch the crazy last-gasp footage below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...