Brazil’s next big thing: Gabriel (16), whom Barca have an option on, has an amazing week
- August 25, 2013
The new Neymar is already making huge waves at Santos.
16-year-old Gabriel, better known by his nickname “Gabigol”, is already gaining hero status at the club Neymar just left having had a fabulous week in which he has bagged his first two professional league goals.
Last week Gabigol scored his maiden professional goal for Santos as he came off the bench to score an 82nd minute winner against Gremio in the Copa do Brasil.
On Saturday night Gabigol continued to suggest he is Brazil’s next big thing as the teenager started his first ever league match in attack against Vitoria, and again the striker scored.
Gabigol’s progress is naturally being compared to that of Neymar. Gabriel is almost two months younger than Neymar was when he scored his first goal, and the teen also needed less time on the field to do it than the newly signed Barcelona star.
With so much hype surrounding the youngster, Santos have recently tied down Brazilian starlet Gabriel Barbosa to a three-year professional contract, which has a €50 million release clause. Barcelona, though, are reported to have secured first bidding rights on the Brazilian starlet having agreed an option on the striker during their deal which brought Neymar to the Nou Camp earlier in the summer.
Watch Gabigol’s two goals in a week for Santos below.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]