Borussia Dortmund fans threw bananas at Bayern Munich goalie Manuel Neuer… again!
- November 23, 2013
We’ve seen this before back in 2012 and since.
Bayern Munich keeper Manuel Neuer was pelted with bananas thrown by Borussia Dortmund fan before the big Bundesliga match on Saturday.
There seem to be two reasons why Dortmund fans chuck bananas at Neuer.
According to one line of reasoning, Neuer’s banana storm was apparently a call back to when Dortmund fans used to give the same treatment to former Bayern keeper Oliver Kahn, who was nicknamed ‘Apeman’.
Meanwhile a second explanation runs that the Bundesliga trophy is referred to as the “bowl”, which in German is close to the word for banana. Thus the Dortmund fans hulring bananas is equivalent to the BVB supporters saying the only way Bayern willwin the Bundesliga ‘bowl’ is by getting bananas.
Neuer, of course, joined Bayern from Schalke, who are Borussia Dortmund’s great local rivals.
Watch footage of Borussia Dortmund fans throwing bananas at Bayern Munich goalie Manuel Neuer below.
- Bayern’s Mario Gotze throws first pitch at LA Dodgers-NY Mets game [Video]
- Bayern open talks with Man United’s Ed Woodward for the €50m purchase of Angel Di...
- Pep Guardiola: Bastian Schweinsteiger needs to decide on a Man United move [Quotes]
- New Bayern Munich attacker Douglas Costa gives first interview since £21m move [Video]
- Man United put together a €160m package (transfer fee & wages) for Bayern’s ...
- Done Deal: Bayern Munich confirm the signing of Douglas Costa
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi