BOOM! Independiente fans throw a firecracker at Belgrano keeper Juan Olave, it explodes & match abandoned
- November 15, 2012
How many times are we going to see explosions on the field this season?
In the past few months a worrying trend has been playing out in world football, as fans have attacked footballers with firecrackers and mini-bombs as matches are being played on the pitch.
Towards the end of October this was seen in Cyprus in the match between Anorthosis and Onomia, while similar scenes were spotted in Iran back in September when a player unknowingly threw a hand grenade off the pitch only for the object to dramatically explode.
Now it’s happened again in Argentina.
Wednesday night’s Apertura contest between Independiente and Belgrano was abandoned after visiting keeper Juan Olave was attacked by an exploding firecracker that blew up just yards away from where he was standing. The incident occurred at the beginning of the second half as the players were waiting to restart the contest.
Watch two angles of the horrific footage below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”259331″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...