BOOM! Independiente fans throw a firecracker at Belgrano keeper Juan Olave, it explodes & match abandoned
- November 15, 2012
How many times are we going to see explosions on the field this season?
In the past few months a worrying trend has been playing out in world football, as fans have attacked footballers with firecrackers and mini-bombs as matches are being played on the pitch.
Towards the end of October this was seen in Cyprus in the match between Anorthosis and Onomia, while similar scenes were spotted in Iran back in September when a player unknowingly threw a hand grenade off the pitch only for the object to dramatically explode.
Now it’s happened again in Argentina.
Wednesday night’s Apertura contest between Independiente and Belgrano was abandoned after visiting keeper Juan Olave was attacked by an exploding firecracker that blew up just yards away from where he was standing. The incident occurred at the beginning of the second half as the players were waiting to restart the contest.
Watch two angles of the horrific footage below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”259331″]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi