- Arsenal’s Yaya Sanogo a loan target for Crystal Palace in January [Mirror]
- Liverpool loanee Luis Alberto scored 27 seconds after coming on for Malaga v Elche [Video]
- Nuts! Bayern’s Manuel Neuer let in only his 4th goal in 17 league games v Mainz [Official Video]
- Athletic Bilbao 1 – Atletico Madrid 4: Antoine Griezmann hits a hat-trick [Highlights]
- Cristiano Ronaldo struggles to stay awake during statue unveiling [Video]
BOOM! Independiente fans throw a firecracker at Belgrano keeper Juan Olave, it explodes & match abandoned
How many times are we going to see explosions on the field this season?
In the past few months a worrying trend has been playing out in world football, as fans have attacked footballers with firecrackers and mini-bombs as matches are being played on the pitch.
Towards the end of October this was seen in Cyprus in the match between Anorthosis and Onomia, while similar scenes were spotted in Iran back in September when a player unknowingly threw a hand grenade off the pitch only for the object to dramatically explode.
Now it’s happened again in Argentina.
Wednesday night’s Apertura contest between Independiente and Belgrano was abandoned after visiting keeper Juan Olave was attacked by an exploding firecracker that blew up just yards away from where he was standing. The incident occurred at the beginning of the second half as the players were waiting to restart the contest.
Watch two angles of the horrific footage below.
- Updated: November 15, 2012