BOOM! Independiente fans throw a firecracker at Belgrano keeper Juan Olave, it explodes & match abandoned
- November 15, 2012
How many times are we going to see explosions on the field this season?
In the past few months a worrying trend has been playing out in world football, as fans have attacked footballers with firecrackers and mini-bombs as matches are being played on the pitch.
Towards the end of October this was seen in Cyprus in the match between Anorthosis and Onomia, while similar scenes were spotted in Iran back in September when a player unknowingly threw a hand grenade off the pitch only for the object to dramatically explode.
Now it’s happened again in Argentina.
Wednesday night’s Apertura contest between Independiente and Belgrano was abandoned after visiting keeper Juan Olave was attacked by an exploding firecracker that blew up just yards away from where he was standing. The incident occurred at the beginning of the second half as the players were waiting to restart the contest.
Watch two angles of the horrific footage below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”259331″]
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...