Bild: Arsenal want €20m Mainz striker Adam Szalai
- January 8, 2013
German newspaper Bild have splashed with a late transfer story on Tuesday evening, claiming Arsenal are interested in Mainz striker Adam Szalai.
Bild say Arsenal have joined Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg in the race for Szalai as Arsene Wenger looks for more options up front.
They argue that Wenger only has Olivier Giroud as a true centre forward and Arsenal have pinpointed Szalai as a striker that can improve their options.
When questioned on Arsenal’s interest, Szalai grinned and said: “I know nothing,” according to Bild.
Szalai is contracted to Mainz until 2015 and his club are looking to keep their star man in the January transfer window.
Mainz manager Christian Heidel is quoted saying “There is definitely no interest. For no amount of money would we sell him now.” Later on in the article he adds “if someone came to us with 20 million…”
Szalai was previously on the books of Real Madrid and is one of the up-and-coming strikers in European football who would likely cope well with the physical demands of the Premier League.
The 25-year-old has scored nine goals for Mainz this season, his best career tally so far.
This transfer story should come with the caveat that Theo Walcott appears to be close to a new Arsenal contract which suggests Arsene Wenger may not be in a hurry to sign a new central striker.
Video footage of Adam Szalai in action can be seen here:
Brendan Rodgers: “If the Liverpool owners want me to go then I go”
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...