Betting tips for Belgium v USA: Predicted line-ups & essential facts and stats
- June 30, 2014
Belgium: Courtois; Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen; Witsel, Fellaini, De Bruyne; Mertens, Mirallas, Origi
Divock Origi could start instead of the disappointing Romelu Lukaku. Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen and Man City’s Vincent Kompany are slight doubt due to injuries, while Anthony Vanden Borre will miss the rest of the tournament with a broken ankle.
USA: Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey.
Jozy Altidore has resumed training, and could even start – although it appears Klinsmann will prefer featuring the Sunderland striker later in the game.
Belgium and USA will meet on Tuesday during the last match of the Round of 16.
The USMNT succeeded in progressing through to the knockout stages following a win against Ghana, and a hard earned draw against Portugal. During the last game of the group stage, Jurgen Klinsmann faced his alma mater lead by former colleague Jogi Loew. USA put up a solid effort, but ultimately went down by a single goal to finish as runner ups of Group G, leaving behind World Cup trauma opponent Ghana and mighty Portugal.
Belgium, the tournament’s dark horses leading up to the World Cup this year, have won all three of their group games at a World Cup for the first time. It was also the first time they had won three successive games in the competition, but Marc Wilmots’ men have not convinced in any of their games, failing to deliver their true potential.
Particularly up front, performances have not lived up to their expectations, with Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku, who had a great domestic season and a solid World Cup rehearsal with the Red Devils’ squad, failing to deliver the goods. Divock Origi, who came in as a sub in all three games thus far, scoring the winner against South Korea, is a viable alternative for Wilmots.
USA boss Jurgen Klinsmann will have his work cut out for him, with the Belgian defence only conceding once during the group stage. Jozy Altidore could feature again for the US, having recovered from his hamstring injury.
101GG Prediction: Belgium 2 – USA 1
Some essential facts and stats to help with online betting:
The US have qualified for the knockout stage in three of their previous four World Cups and are aiming to reach the Quarter Final for the first time since 2002.
Belgium and USA have met just once before in the World Cup, in what was for both their first World Cup game in 1930. The US ran out 3-0 winners in Montevideo.
Belgium have won each of their four games since that clash, keeping a clean sheet on three occasions.
In their last meeting in May 2013, the Red Devils won 4-2 in Cleveland. Kevin Mirallas and Marouane Fellaini both scored for Belgium, while Clint Dempsey and Geoff Cameron were on the score sheet for the US.
Only Iran (30%) had a lower average possession figure in the group stage than Jurgen Klinsmann’s side (39%).
The US managed just nine shots on target in their three group games. They are the only side to have qualified without reaching double figures in this regard.
The last six Belgian goals at World Cups have come in the closing 20 minutes of games.
USA have conceded in each of their last 16 World Cup games against European opposition.
Only three players (Lionel Messi, Alexis Sanchez and Angel Di Maria) completed more dribbles than Eden Hazard in the group stage (13).
No player made more blocks than Daniel van Buyten in the group stage (5).
- Benteke’s transfer fee to Liverpool dwarfs Eden Hazard’s cost, or what Man ...
- Thibaut Courtois praises Wales and Gareth Bale after Belgium’s defeat [Video]
- Wales v Belgium: The big match preview for the Euro 2016 qualifier [Video]
- Belgium paper Sportwereld had an eye-catching picture of Man United’s Marouane Fe...
- Outrageous Acca: Back Belgium, Italy & Holland to win at enormous 28/1 odds!!!
- Belgium release brilliant fan footage of game v France [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi