Betting tips for Australia v Spain: Predicted line-ups & essential facts and stats
- June 22, 2014
Australia: Ryan, Spiranovic, McGowan, Wilkinson, Davidson, Bresciano, Jedinak, McKay, Leckie, Oar & Halloran.
With Australian World Cup hero Tim Cahill suspended, coach Ange Postecoglou will choose between Matthew Leckie or Adam Taggart.
Spain: Reina, Alba, Ramos, Martinez, Juanfran, Alonso, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Koke & Villa & Torres.
Predicting the Spain starting XI is almost impossible. Will Vicente Del Bosque hand the youngsters (e.g. Koke) a chance or will it be the last hurrah for the old guard (Casillas, Xabi Alonso and Xavi)? What seems certain is that Gerard Pique is out injured and Cesc Fabregas brought the wrath of Del Bosque down on himself for a poor attitude in training.
101GG Betting Tip:
Both Australia and Spain come into their final games at the World Cup with differing feelings despite the fact both sides have tasted defeat in every game played so far in Brazil.
For Australia, two losses was not unexpected and the fact the Socceroos pushed both Chile and Holland to the final whistle with almost a completely unheralded squad has been celebrated.
La Furia Roja meanwhile have experienced the tournament from hell as the second favourites to win the World Cup crashed and burned in spectacular fashion. Conceding more goals in two games than they did in the last three tournaments.
So, what to expect in Curitiba?
Well, the pressure is off, and this match plays serious second fiddle to the other game in Group B between Holland and Chile which will decide the winners of the group.
Australia are without Tim Cahill who has undoubtedly been their star of the show in Brazil and his volley versus Holland will live long in the memory.
The Socceroos will try hard but it would be a surprise were they to get anything out the game.
Vicente Del Bosque looks set to carry on as Spain boss and this game will likely be a farewell to some old stars, who have won everything and the youngsters who a different team can be built around.
At his pre-match press conference, Del Bosque confirmed Pepe Reina would play in goal whilst Xavi was unlikely to make it. Andres Iniesta will win his 100th cap.
Either way, Spain should have way too much even if the game is played at the pace of a glorified pre-season friendly.
101GG prediction: Australia 1 – Spain 3.
Some essential facts and stats to help with online betting on Australia v Spain:
The last time Spain lost both their opening games at a World Cup was in 1950, also on Brazilian soil.
Australia have lost four out of their last five matches.
Up until Mile Jedinak scored a penalty against Holland, the only Australian in the squad to score a World Cup goal was Tim Cahill.
If Xavi plays for Spain in what will be his final appearance, it will be the Barcelona schemer’s 134th national team game. Up until now, Xavi has played in 100 victories.
- Ex-Everton star Tim Cahill scores bullet header for Shanghai Shenhua [video]
- USA 3 – Australia 1: Megan Rapinoe’s double gives the US a winning World Cu...
- Crystal Palace’s Mile Jedinak scored a wonderful free-kick for Australia v the Wo...
- RISK FREE!!! Back Germany to beat Australia at 3/1 + money back if you lose!!!
- Japan 2 – Australia 1: Konno & Okazaki (backheel) seal the win [Highlights]
- Saudi Arabia 2 – Australia 3: Cahill, Jedinak & Smith lift Socceroos [Highli...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi