BETTING TIP: Back Iran to beat terrible Bosnia at 13/5 for one of the great World Cup stories [Preview & Odds]
History could about to be made on Wednesday at the World Cup as Iran may reach the last-16 of the competition for the first time in their history.
The Iranians, under the tutelage of former Manchester United coach Carlos Queiroz, stand on the precipice of something unbelievable as they could overcome international sanctions, and government who reportedly doesn’t like football much, and incredible odds to get out of Group F.
The 1-0 defeat to Argentina in round two showed just what an excellent side Iran can be.
Defensively, the Iranians are no joke. Having conceded just once in Brazil – a spellbinding last-gasp golazo from Lionel Messi – the Persian Stars have proven how solid they are at the back, and that solid foundation may frustrate a Bosnian side who are already eliminated from the tournament.
The bigger question is whether Iran can score at the other end.
Having bagged just eight goals in qualifying, and four of those were in one game against Lebanon, it’s fair to say that Iran aren’t prolific, however the do have goal threats going forward.
Reza Ghoochannejhad came close to scoring against Argentina, while in the same game Ashkan Dejagah could easily have won a penalty after a surging run into the box. Iran also have striker Jahan Bakhsh to call upon if needed.
Finally, here are some more fact to convince you that Iran are going to win.
In five previous meetings, Bosnia have never beaten Iran (D1 L4), and the Persians have scored 16 goals in those head-to-head match-ups.
And lastly to consider, Bosnia have kept one clean sheet in their last six internationals.
- Wales head to Bosnia-Herzegovina looking to seal Euro 2016 qualification [Match Preview]
- Everton’s Muhamed Besic slapped with a 3-game international ban for throwing chew...
- Belgium spank Bosnia-Herzegovina 4-1 in U17 European Championship qualifying [Video]
- Asmir Begovic talks of Gareth Bale’s “freakish” threat pre Wales v B-H
- Golazo: Iran scored a glorious one touch move against Chile [GIF]
- Iranian fan proposes to his girlfriend during Asian Cup win over UAE [Video]
- Iran attacker Sardar Azmoun scores winning goal against Qatar after marvelous turn [Video]
- Bergkamp-esque! Sardar Azmoun (Iran) scores exquisite golazo v Qatar [GIF & Video]