Better than Neymar? Meet the latest Santos prodigy: Gabigol (17), on the verge of eclipsing Neymar’s debut year [Video]
- May 16, 2014
For those of you who wept on behalf of Santos when their homegrown starlet Neymar was plucked from their clutches by Barcelona, dry those tears.
Firstly, because Santos milked Neymar for all he was worth and were only burned a little by the meagre stake they received from his transfer fee.
And secondly, most importantly, because a new prodigy has stepped into his shoes; and he’s on the verge of eclipsing the Brazil striker’s debut season achievements.
17 year old Gabriel Barbosa Almeida scored last night in the Copa do Brasil against Princesa de Solimoes, as you can see in the video above, to take his tally for the year to an impressive 13 goals. More of his talent can be seen in the video at the end of the article.
This goal is even more impressive when compared with Neymar’s rise to stardom. If Gabriel scores in his next game he’ll equal Neymar’s first year tally of 14 having played 23 games less than his predecessor!
As you might imagine, Gabriel is blessed with a similarly divine technique, a masterful first touch and killer instincts. The video below gives a glimpse of the prodigy’s style of play. He looks destined for the top.
Watch Live Stream
- Man United keen on £180m Barcelona striker Neymar [Daily Record]November 30, 2016
- Neymar has been involved in a car accident on Sunday before the Sociedad gameNovember 27, 2016
- Barcelona star Neymar equalled a Champions League record last nightNovember 24, 2016
- Neymar faces a 2-year prison sentence and $10.6 million fine in SpainNovember 23, 2016
- Santos release #ForçaChape video paying tribute to ChapecoenseNovember 29, 2016
- Brazilian coach confirms he’s trying to sign Man United’s Bastian Schweinsteiger [UOL Esporte]November 26, 2016
- Updates on Chelsea’s pursuit of free agent Martin Caceres [Fabrizio Romano]September 6, 2016
- Man United to gazump Leicester in the race for a Brazilian star [Sun]August 16, 2016