Bernard Parker scored an own goal golazo to end Bafana Bafana’s 2014 World Cup dream
- June 17, 2013
The 2010 World Cup hosts won’t be at Brazil in 2014. Almost certainly.
South Africa’s mundial dream came to a close on Sunday in Ethiopia as Bafana Bafana slumped to a 2-1 defeat in Addis Ababa.
The Rainbow Nation took a 33rd minute lead through Bernard Parker, but the advantage was short lived as Getaneh Kebede equalised ten minutes later.
Bernard Parker’s day turned sour in the 70th minute when the Kaizer Chiefs striker scored a freak own goal, heading a free-kick into his own net from the edge of the box to end Bafana Banafa’s World Cup dream.
South Africa do, though, have a small chance of reviving their Brazil 2014 dream.
After the match FIFA opened an investigation into the Ethiopian Football Association after they allegedly fielded an ineligible player earlier in the competition. It is claimed that Walia Antelopes midfielder Manyahile Beyene should have sat out their away game in Botswana after receiving yellow cards in previous matches away to South Africa and against Botswana at home.
Watch Bernard Parker’s amazing own goal golazo below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi