Beitar Jerusalem fans in trouble again as a lighter strikes a linesman on the head
- November 28, 2012
Beitar Jerusalem have hit the headlines again for all the wrong reasons.
The club from the Holy City suffered a double whammy Monday night as they slumped to a 2-1 home defeat to Maccabi Haifa, while their fans brought the club into disrepute when a lighter was thrown from the crowd which hit the linesman on the head.
The incident occurred on the stroke of halftime as Haifa were in the process of a corner.
As Maccabi captain Yaniv Katan was lining up the whip the ball into the mixer, the play was dramatically held up when the lino sunk to the floor after being hit by a lighter. Whether the target of the missile was supposed to be the official or the Haifa captain is debatable, however in either case the behaviour of the Beitar fans was deplorable.
Sadly this has not been the only unsavoury episode at Beitar’s Teddy Stadium this season. Back at the end of October Beitar Jerusalem fans were accused of racism after Hapoel Tel Aviv striker Toto Tamuz was sent off for a ‘shush’ goal celebration.
Watch the Beitar lighter assault on linesman below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”263241″]
And there is more, as the attack on the lino wasn’t the only reported assault at the game on Monday night.
A group of around 30 Beitar’s ultras, some masked, are being accused of beating up an innocent Haifa fan after the game ended. The fan, Asaf Gadiel, was reportedly lynched by the mob outside the Teddy Stadium as he was trying to make his way home, and during the attack the supporter was cracked over the head by a crowbar as his was lying on the floor whilst bleeding.
A shocking photo of Gadiel’s head after the attack can be seen after the fold.
(Credit to One.co.il)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...