- Super-positive Gooner Ty taking lots of positives from Liverpool 2 – Arsenal 2 [Video]
- ‘It’s ruined my Bloody Christmas!’ Claude has a mini meltdown after Liverpool 2 – Arsenal 2 [Video]
- Huge Police presence needed to keep Newcastle and Sunderland fans apart before derby [Video]
- Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti commiserated with each and every San Lorenzo player after Final [Video]
- Scarlets RFU player Liam Williams player apologizes for dressing up as Wilfried Bony with blackface
Bayern Munich’s Shaqiri & Mandzukic accused of saluting Croatian war generals by Serbian paper Blic
It’s been a difficult few days for Bayern Munich stars Xherdan Shaqiri and Mario Mandzukic.
Bayern were held to their first draw of the Bundesliga season on Saturday when, after taking the lead at Nurnberg, the league leaders were pegged back by the hosts.
Bayern raced into the lead courtesy of an early strike from Croatian-born centre-forward Mandzukic, and after sticking the ball in the net the striker, along with Kosovo-born teammate Xherdan Shaqiri, produced a saluting goal celebration in front of the visiting supporters.
That celebration quickly caused a stir as Serbian media outlet Blic accused Shaqiri and Mandzukic of supporting for the recent acquittal of Croatian ex-generals Ante Gotovina and Mladen Markac from war crimes charges.
The Bayern duo have since been forced to deny the accusations, with Mandzukic defending himself saying:
I was full of emotions running when I ran behind the goal in order to celebrate the early goal with our fans. The celebration probably looked a bit unfortunate, but I have often celebrated in a similar manner.
Shaqiri has also been forced to explain his behaviour, going on the record to say “I have no idea about politics in Croatia.”
Watch the conspiracy-laden Shaqiri and Mandzukic goal celebration below.
- Updated: November 19, 2012