Bayern Munich’s Shaqiri & Mandzukic accused of saluting Croatian war generals by Serbian paper Blic
- November 19, 2012
It’s been a difficult few days for Bayern Munich stars Xherdan Shaqiri and Mario Mandzukic.
Bayern were held to their first draw of the Bundesliga season on Saturday when, after taking the lead at Nurnberg, the league leaders were pegged back by the hosts.
Bayern raced into the lead courtesy of an early strike from Croatian-born centre-forward Mandzukic, and after sticking the ball in the net the striker, along with Kosovo-born teammate Xherdan Shaqiri, produced a saluting goal celebration in front of the visiting supporters.
That celebration quickly caused a stir as Serbian media outlet Blic accused Shaqiri and Mandzukic of supporting for the recent acquittal of Croatian ex-generals Ante Gotovina and Mladen Markac from war crimes charges.
The Bayern duo have since been forced to deny the accusations, with Mandzukic defending himself saying:
I was full of emotions running when I ran behind the goal in order to celebrate the early goal with our fans. The celebration probably looked a bit unfortunate, but I have often celebrated in a similar manner.
Shaqiri has also been forced to explain his behaviour, going on the record to say “I have no idea about politics in Croatia.”
Watch the conspiracy-laden Shaqiri and Mandzukic goal celebration below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”260687″]
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...