Bayern Munich will bid £40m to sign Chelsea’s David Luiz [Daily Mail]
- July 28, 2013
According to the backpage of the Daily Mail on Monday, Bayern Munich will bid £40m to try and sign Chelsea’s David Luiz.
Luis has been the subject of constant transfer speculation this summer, with the Brazilian having been linked to Barcelona for some time.
Fuelled by suggestions that Jose Mourinho is not the biggest admirer of Luiz, rumours have been circling for a few days that Pep Guardiola could try and pinch Luiz from Chelsea as the new Munich boss believes his rearguard could benefit from some reinforcements.
Significantly, Bayern defender Holger Badstuber could be sidelined for another year after recently learning he will need a fourth operation on his injured right knee, having sustained ligament damage last December.
Nevertheless, many Chelsea fans will struggle to take the links to Bayern seriously.
Firstly, Luiz has three years left on the contract signed when he arrived from Benfica in January 2011. Secondly, the 26-year-old was a revelation for Chelsea under Rafa Benitez in 2012/2013 in both defence and midfield and is firmly a fans favourite with Blues supporters.
Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, club director Matthias Sammer has ruled out the club signing a defender, saying:
We are not going to sign a new defender since we have already signed a defender this summer in Jan Kirchhoff. The decision not to sign a further defender is clearly to be seen as giving a fair chance to Jan.
All in all, odds are that David Luiz will be a Chelsea player during 2013-14.
- Arsenal flop Nicklas Bendtner wins the Super Cup with an 89th minute leveller & wi...
- Manuel Neuer made a classic defensive diving header for Bayern v Wolfsburg in the Super...
- Thiago Alcantara receives and returns Xabi Alonso pass without letting it hit ground (V...
- Manuel Neuer plays keepy-uppy game with other Bayern Munich goalkeepers (Video)
- Bayern legend ‘pretty certain’ Pep Guardiola will leave in 2016, backs Jurg...
- Indecisive Pep Guardiola hints that he’ll leave Bayern Munich next year
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi