- Watch Lionel Messi watch his Barcelona tribute for becoming La Liga top goal scorer
- AC Milan v Inter Milan: Watch a live stream of the Derby della Madonnina – available in UK
- Liverpool linked to £10m bid for Norwich’s Nathan Redmond in the Sunday Star [Picture]
- Superfan Claude doesn’t think Gunners will make top 4 after Man United loss [Arsenal Fan TV]
- Mario Balotelli turns up at the boxing, surely out of Crystal Palace v Liverpool
Bayern Munich inform Barcelona they will pay the release clause for Thiago Alcantara [RAC1]
The deal is almost done and Manchester United have been firmly beaten in the race to sign Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara.
Almost a day after reports emerged that Bayern Munich had agreed terms with Thiago and following Pep Guardiola’s press conference where he announced the Spain Under-21 star was “the only player I want” – a deal could be wrapped up imminently.
Catalan radio station RAC1 have revealed this Thursday evening that Bayern Munich vice-president Karl Heinz Rummenigge has informed Barcelona that they will pay the 18 million euro release clause to sign Thiago.
It will be intriguing to see whether Barcelona demand the VAT on any transfer, but after a semi-final Champions League mauling at the hands of Bayern just months ago, this will be a bitter pill to swallow for the hierarchy at the Nou Camp.
Thiago will reportedly be Bayern Munich’s final signing this summer but could well be the coup of this transfer window.
Sky Italia reported early on Thursday evening that “negotiations at an advanced stage” between Bayern and Thiago.
Meanwhile, Manchester United have missed out on a fantastic player and are now expected to turn their attentions elsewhere.
- Updated: July 11, 2013