Bayern Munich handed a partial stadium ban for the homophobic banner aimed at Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil
13 days later UEFA have acted.
On March 11th, during Bayern Munich’s home match against Arsenal in the Champions League, a homophobic banner aimed at Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil was spotted at the Allianz Arena.
The banner had the words ‘Gay Gunners’, and it depicted a crude caricature of Mesut Ozil bent over in front of a cannon.
Pictures of the banner went viral at the time, and now UEFA have punished Bayern Munich with a partial closure of their stadium for the Champions League quarter-final against Manchester United.
The club have also been fined €10,000 for the “discriminatory behaviour” over the banner.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin offers revealing comments when asked about Barcelona interest [Cope]May 27th, 2016
- Arsenal officially reveal new shirt numbers for Granit Xhaka & Aaron Ramsey (Videos)May 27th, 2016
- Tottenham star Christian Eriksen admits finishing below Arsenal was “infuriating” [BT]May 27th, 2016
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil is ‘seriously considering’ offers from Bayern & Barcelon...May 27th, 2016
- Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge urges Mario Gotze to leave amid Liverpool interestMay 26th, 2016
- Bayern Munich fan survives cancer and gets club crest painted on false eyeMay 24th, 2016
- Redmen TV try to convince themselves Mario Gotze could still join Liverpool from Bayern (Video)May 24th, 2016
- Pep Guardiola apologised for not winning Champions League in Bayern farewell speech (Video)May 23rd, 2016
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil feeds a tiger in Dubai, animal paws him in his private parts (Video)May 25th, 2016
- Arsenal keeper Petr Cech heaps praise on “extraordinary” Mesut Ozil (Video)May 24th, 2016
- Mesut Ozil Likes Instagram post criticising Arsenal team mate Olivier GiroudMay 22nd, 2016
- Awesome: Luis Suarez, Paul Pogba and Mesut Ozil star in new adidas ad (Video)May 20th, 2016