Bayern Munich handed a partial stadium ban for the homophobic banner aimed at Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil
13 days later UEFA have acted.
On March 11th, during Bayern Munich’s home match against Arsenal in the Champions League, a homophobic banner aimed at Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil was spotted at the Allianz Arena.
The banner had the words ‘Gay Gunners’, and it depicted a crude caricature of Mesut Ozil bent over in front of a cannon.
Pictures of the banner went viral at the time, and now UEFA have punished Bayern Munich with a partial closure of their stadium for the Champions League quarter-final against Manchester United.
The club have also been fined €10,000 for the “discriminatory behaviour” over the banner.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal 2 – Reading 0: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain at the double (Official highlights)October 27, 2016
- Arsene Wenger gives a fan bad news about Theo Walcott [Instagram Video]October 26, 2016
- Alexis Sanchez shows his disappointment over the 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlistOctober 26, 2016
- Chelsea upload video of Nathaniel Chalobah’s double nutmeg v Man UnitedOctober 26, 2016
- Nuts: Philipp Lahm scores brilliant goal for Bayern v Augsburg (Video)October 26, 2016
- Bayern players wowed by freestyle street performer’s skills after coach invite (Video)October 26, 2016
- Bayern Munich to announce three massive deals in the next month [Sport1]October 26, 2016
- Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti explains why he doesn’t care that Xabi Alonso is slow (Video)October 21, 2016
- BBC’s David Ornstein on Mesut Ozil & Alexis Sanchez renewal updates after Arsenal’s AGM (Video)October 25, 2016
- Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil & Man United’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic slammed on the BBC (Video)October 23, 2016
- Dimitri Payet emulates Mesut Özil with chewing gum keepy-up trick (Video)October 22, 2016
- Lucas Perez gives ITK update on Mesut Özil’s Arsenal contract situation to Onda Cero (Audio)October 21, 2016