Bayern Munich handed a partial stadium ban for the homophobic banner aimed at Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil
13 days later UEFA have acted.
On March 11th, during Bayern Munich’s home match against Arsenal in the Champions League, a homophobic banner aimed at Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil was spotted at the Allianz Arena.
The banner had the words ‘Gay Gunners’, and it depicted a crude caricature of Mesut Ozil bent over in front of a cannon.
Pictures of the banner went viral at the time, and now UEFA have punished Bayern Munich with a partial closure of their stadium for the Champions League quarter-final against Manchester United.
The club have also been fined €10,000 for the “discriminatory behaviour” over the banner.
Watch Live Stream
- Act like it’s your own money: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger on spendingAugust 24, 2016
- Arsenal stopper Petr Cech explains why he moved from midfield to goalkeeper (Video)August 24, 2016
- Arsenal loanee Wojciech Szczesny makes horrendous howler in 3-0 Roma UCL defeat (Video)August 23, 2016
- Man United boss Jose Mourinho spurns Arsenal interest in Phil Jones [Telegraph]August 23, 2016
- Bayern publish top 5 goals from pre-season training ft. Lewandowski & Thiago beauties (Video)August 18, 2016
- Bad news for Bayern Munich’s Kingsley Coman (Video)August 17, 2016
- Manuel Neuer blasts Man United boss Jose Mourinho [Bild]August 14, 2016
- The Guardian think Arsenal could sign Bayern’s Robert LewandowskiAugust 11, 2016
- Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil would return to Real Madrid in a heartbeat [SportBild]August 10, 2016
- Bad news on the renewals of Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil & Alexis Sanchez [Times]August 10, 2016
- Proof Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil & Man City’s Ilkay Gundogan don’t tweet for themselvesAugust 1, 2016
- Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil hangs out with Israeli model Danielle Lahav in LA [Instagram]July 28, 2016