Bayern Munich handed a partial stadium ban for the homophobic banner aimed at Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil
13 days later UEFA have acted.
On March 11th, during Bayern Munich’s home match against Arsenal in the Champions League, a homophobic banner aimed at Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil was spotted at the Allianz Arena.
The banner had the words ‘Gay Gunners’, and it depicted a crude caricature of Mesut Ozil bent over in front of a cannon.
Pictures of the banner went viral at the time, and now UEFA have punished Bayern Munich with a partial closure of their stadium for the Champions League quarter-final against Manchester United.
The club have also been fined €10,000 for the “discriminatory behaviour” over the banner.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal boss rules Olivier Giroud out of Burnley game, positive news for Coquelin (Video)September 30, 2016
- Arsenal should start searching for a new manager as Arsene Wenger opens the door for EnglandSeptember 30, 2016
- Arsenal star Alex Iwobi plays FIFA and Chills with Copa 90 (Video)September 29, 2016
- It looks like Theo Walcott is finally making good on his Alexis Sanchez arrival warningSeptember 29, 2016
- Bad news for Bayern Munich’s Douglas CostaSeptember 30, 2016
- Looks like Liverpool keeper Loris Karius takes after Bayern Munich’s Manuel NeuerSeptember 25, 2016
- Bayern Munich want to sign Liverpool’s star asset [Express]September 25, 2016
- Will he get in trouble? Bayern’s Franck Ribery was incredibly cheeky v HamburgSeptember 24, 2016
- What new Arsenal contract? Mesut Ozil is linked with a Real Madrid return [Bild]September 29, 2016
- Wilshere on his way out? Arsenal fans react to Mesut Ozil’s reported new shirt number [Tweets]September 28, 2016
- Arsenal agree a mega-deal with Mesut Ozil [Bild]September 28, 2016
- Gooners think Mesut Ozil is the best midfielder in the world (Videos)September 25, 2016