Barcelona’s Alex Song talks about how he didn’t want to leave Arsenal, now linked to Man United [Express]
Cameroonian international midfielder Alex Song has sat down with beIN Sport this week and, despite the fact that the Barcelona midfielder failed to talk about Manchester United or David Moyes throughout his interview, gossip columns are now linking the ex-Arsenal man to Old Trafford.
Song has a contract with Barcelona until June 2107, however few believe the ex-Gunner will stay at the Camp Nou for that long.
According to the rumour mill Song is on the shortlist of expendable players at Barca, and many expect the Catalans to get rid of him this summer. The 26-year-old has started just nine La Liga matches this term, following 17 starts in the 2012-13 campaign.
Talking to beIN Sport, Song stated:
If I leave Barcelona, it will be to return to the Premier League. I will return to England one day, that’s for sure.
He (Arsene Wenger) was like a father to me. He spoke a lot with me when I arrived to Arsenal. I wanted to renew my contract with Arsenal but in that case I would have regretted not joining Barcelona. Barcelona are the best side in the world.
In a classic tabloid fudge, the Express have used those quotes as the launchpad to claim the following:
Manchester United are thought to be interested in bringing Song to Old Trafford but the 26-year-old has admitted that he still holds strong ties to former club Arsenal… Manchester United could yet offer him the chance to be part of David Moyes’ overhaul this summer if Arsenal are not an option.
Watch Live Stream
- Chelsea & West Ham stars supported the Catalans before the game at the Emirates Stadium [Instagram]February 24, 2016
- West Ham midfielder Alex Song despairs after losing the Yes/No game (Video)November 4, 2015
- Done Deal: West Ham re-sign Barcelona’s Alex Song on a season long loan [Tweet]September 1, 2015
- West Ham are ‘very close’ to signing Alex Song and Arsenal’s Carl Jenkinson [Telegraph]July 1, 2015
- Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi kicking himself after missing chances against Reading [Snapchat]October 25, 2016
- Oxlade-Chamberlain scores brace as Arsenal beat Reading 2-0 [Tweets]October 25, 2016
- Giroud returns to the bench: Arsenal v Reading [Team Sheets]October 25, 2016
- Arsenal v Reading: Watch a live stream of the EFL Cup matchOctober 25, 2016
- Barcelona striker Luis Suarez reveals plans to return to former clubOctober 25, 2016
- Revealed: PSG agreed to pay Neymar’s €190m release clause but not his monster tax debt [L’Equipe]October 25, 2016
- Did violent Valencia tactics make Andres Iniesta’s injury inevitable? (Video)October 24, 2016
- Andres Iniesta’s injury timetable sees him miss 12 Barcelona fixtures, including ClasicoOctober 23, 2016