Barcelona set to announce €17.5m signing of Sevilla & Croatia midfielder Ivan Rakitic
- June 10, 2014
The Catalan press seem quite certain: Barcelona will announce the signing of Croatian midfielder Ivan Rakitic on Tuesday.
Sport have placed Rakitic in a Barcelona shirt on their front page today and even go so far as to claim Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta agreed the deal with Sevilla yesterday.
Negotiations apparently intensified after Luis Enrique took over at Barcelona and the new coach is a keen admirer of Rakitic.
The Croatian schemer had a 40 million euro release clause in his Sevilla contract but his current deal runs out at the end of next season.
Rakitic refused to sign a new Sevilla deal and is keen to transfer to Barcelona before the World Cup starts on Thursday – Croatia feature in the opening game against Brazil in Sao Paulo.
The final deal is believed to have been agreed at 17.5 million euros with Barcelona B midfielder Denis Suarez joining Sevilla on loan for a season.
Sevilla will have a purchase agreement on Suarez, should he impress during 2014/2015.
Considering the fees mooted for certain players in the current transfer market, this sounds like a scandalously cheap price to sign one of the best midfielders in La Liga last season.
- Barcelona recall Messi’s 5 goals against Leverkusen in 2011-12 Champions League (...
- Leo Messi really enjoyed beating Cristiano Roaldo to UEFA Player of the Year award [Ole]
- Leo Messi shares UEFA POY award with Luis Suarez on flight home to Barcelona
- Identical: Neymar’s doppelgänger Barry Cotter (16) signs for Irish club Limerick
- Barcelona’s Lionel Messi wins the Champions League 14-15 Goal of the Season award...
- Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen won the CL 14-15 Save of the Season award (Video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...