Barcelona set to announce €17.5m signing of Sevilla & Croatia midfielder Ivan Rakitic
The Catalan press seem quite certain: Barcelona will announce the signing of Croatian midfielder Ivan Rakitic on Tuesday.
Sport have placed Rakitic in a Barcelona shirt on their front page today and even go so far as to claim Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta agreed the deal with Sevilla yesterday.
Negotiations apparently intensified after Luis Enrique took over at Barcelona and the new coach is a keen admirer of Rakitic.
The Croatian schemer had a 40 million euro release clause in his Sevilla contract but his current deal runs out at the end of next season.
Rakitic refused to sign a new Sevilla deal and is keen to transfer to Barcelona before the World Cup starts on Thursday – Croatia feature in the opening game against Brazil in Sao Paulo.
The final deal is believed to have been agreed at 17.5 million euros with Barcelona B midfielder Denis Suarez joining Sevilla on loan for a season.
Sevilla will have a purchase agreement on Suarez, should he impress during 2014/2015.
Considering the fees mooted for certain players in the current transfer market, this sounds like a scandalously cheap price to sign one of the best midfielders in La Liga last season.
Watch Live Stream
- Andres Iniesta’s injury timetable sees him miss 12 Barcelona fixtures, including ClasicoOctober 23, 2016
- Neymar loses a court case regarding the birth of his son Davi Lucca [Noticias24]October 23, 2016
- New video angle emerges of Barcelona players being hit by bottles & Leo Messi’s rage (video)October 23, 2016
- Leo Messi at the double as Barcelona win 3-2 at Valencia (Official video)October 22, 2016
- Mad Stat: Sevilla’s Samir Nasri is turning into Barcelona’s XaviOctober 19, 2016
- Unbelievable Stat: Sevilla made history last weekend in SpainOctober 18, 2016
- Samir Nasri arrives in Sevilla ahead of a loan move from Manchester City [Tweets]August 30, 2016
- Man City’s Samir Nasri plans to reject Besiktas & move to Spain instead [L’Equipe]August 30, 2016