Barcelona set to announce €17.5m signing of Sevilla & Croatia midfielder Ivan Rakitic
The Catalan press seem quite certain: Barcelona will announce the signing of Croatian midfielder Ivan Rakitic on Tuesday.
Sport have placed Rakitic in a Barcelona shirt on their front page today and even go so far as to claim Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta agreed the deal with Sevilla yesterday.
Negotiations apparently intensified after Luis Enrique took over at Barcelona and the new coach is a keen admirer of Rakitic.
The Croatian schemer had a 40 million euro release clause in his Sevilla contract but his current deal runs out at the end of next season.
Rakitic refused to sign a new Sevilla deal and is keen to transfer to Barcelona before the World Cup starts on Thursday – Croatia feature in the opening game against Brazil in Sao Paulo.
The final deal is believed to have been agreed at 17.5 million euros with Barcelona B midfielder Denis Suarez joining Sevilla on loan for a season.
Sevilla will have a purchase agreement on Suarez, should he impress during 2014/2015.
Considering the fees mooted for certain players in the current transfer market, this sounds like a scandalously cheap price to sign one of the best midfielders in La Liga last season.
Watch Live Stream
- Leo Messi at the double as Barcelona win 3-0 at Osasuna (Official video)December 11, 2016
- Even when Leo Messi dives, he is still the most honest player on the planet (video)December 10, 2016
- Barcelona’s Neymar congratulates ‘Fatty’ Luis Suarez on Osasuna goal on SnapcatDecember 10, 2016
- Huge boost for Barcelona as Messi and Suarez open contract talks [BBC Sport]December 10, 2016
- Samir Nasri tells all about Man City boss Pep Guardiola, including his sex curfewNovember 15, 2016
- Awesome: Luis Suarez gave his shirt to a young fan after Sevilla v Barcelona (Video)November 8, 2016
- Awesome video of Leo Messi’s brilliant individual performance v SevillaNovember 8, 2016
- Brilliant Leo Messi guides Barcelona to 2-1 win at Sevilla (official video)November 7, 2016