Barcelona say they paid Liverpool £65m for Luis Suarez, nobody believes them!
After making a brief cameo for Barcelona in their Joan Gamper trophy 6-0 win over Leon on Monday evening, Luis Suarez was unveiled to the media today.
One of the key points of the unveiling was how much Barcelona paid Liverpool for Luis Suarez.
Barcelona claim it was just 81 million euros.
Jordi Meste, the vice president of Barcelona announced: “Luis Suarez had a release clause at Liverpool of £75 million. After negotiations, we in the end paid £65 million.”
When questioned further about what appears to be a very low fee for a top class striker, Meste added: “For two reasons: good negotiations by our people and Luis’ wish to join.”
Considering it was also announced at the presser that Suarez’s new release clause is 200 million euros, this does seem like Liverpool were out negotiated.
But, expect Liverpool to announce their own version of events (much like Spurs and Real Madrid did over Gareth Bale) and, crucially, as you can see from the Tweets below, no one believes Barcelona!
Barcelona claim they paid £65m for Luis Suarez. Using the Barcelona truth/lies converter, that means they actually paid £124m.
— Paddy Power (@paddypower) August 19, 2014
Yes, Barca lied about how much they paid for Neymar and were punished for tax fraud. So use your head – you think they're gonna do it again?
— Doc (@ManhattanDoc) August 19, 2014
Barca confirm Suarez's release clause was £75m but claim they paid £65m. Liverpool insist it was £75m. Anyone seen the receipt?!
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) August 19, 2014
— Paul Kelso (@pkelso) August 19, 2014
Now that Barcelona officially confirmed the Luis Suarez's fee (€81m), Daily Mail and co will say it was £81m.
— Marco (@MarcoFCB93) August 19, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Barcelona’s Javier Mascherano hits back at ‘genius’ critics (Video)December 7, 2016
- Neymar & Cristiano Ronaldo charge a fortune for their signatures [El Confidencial]December 7, 2016
- Barcelona’s Arda Turan takes a sly dig at Real Madrid (Video)December 7, 2016
- Too far? Jordi Alba faces backlash for trolling Mateo Kovacic during El ClasicoDecember 6, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool are worse at defending than under Brendan RodgersDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool pair Lucas & Mignolet post pictures from Barcelona CL matchDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool’s Loris Karius is actually outperforming Man United’s David De GeaDecember 7, 2016
- Liverpool fans will love Dirk Kuyt’s story about the stick he took from Manchester United fans (Video)December 6, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo not included in the most expensive XI in world football [CIES]December 6, 2016
- Steven Gerrard reveals how Luis Suarez hooked him up for El ClasicoDecember 4, 2016
- Luis Suarez’s goal for Barcelona v Real Madrid shouldn’t have been allowedDecember 3, 2016
- Ex Liverpool striker Luis Suarez pens long and emotional Steven Gerrard tributeNovember 24, 2016