Barcelona say they paid Liverpool £65m for Luis Suarez, nobody believes them!
After making a brief cameo for Barcelona in their Joan Gamper trophy 6-0 win over Leon on Monday evening, Luis Suarez was unveiled to the media today.
One of the key points of the unveiling was how much Barcelona paid Liverpool for Luis Suarez.
Barcelona claim it was just 81 million euros.
Jordi Meste, the vice president of Barcelona announced: “Luis Suarez had a release clause at Liverpool of £75 million. After negotiations, we in the end paid £65 million.”
When questioned further about what appears to be a very low fee for a top class striker, Meste added: “For two reasons: good negotiations by our people and Luis’ wish to join.”
Considering it was also announced at the presser that Suarez’s new release clause is 200 million euros, this does seem like Liverpool were out negotiated.
But, expect Liverpool to announce their own version of events (much like Spurs and Real Madrid did over Gareth Bale) and, crucially, as you can see from the Tweets below, no one believes Barcelona!
Barcelona claim they paid £65m for Luis Suarez. Using the Barcelona truth/lies converter, that means they actually paid £124m.
— Paddy Power (@paddypower) August 19, 2014
Yes, Barca lied about how much they paid for Neymar and were punished for tax fraud. So use your head – you think they're gonna do it again?
— Doc (@ManhattanDoc) August 19, 2014
Barca confirm Suarez's release clause was £75m but claim they paid £65m. Liverpool insist it was £75m. Anyone seen the receipt?!
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) August 19, 2014
— Paul Kelso (@pkelso) August 19, 2014
Now that Barcelona officially confirmed the Luis Suarez's fee (€81m), Daily Mail and co will say it was £81m.
— Marco (@MarcoFCB93) August 19, 2014
- Leo Messi sends cryptic message to the Spanish Tax Man on Instagram
- Ronaldo romps and Messi watch complaints feature in new book of Barcelona anecdotes
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi will be tried in Spain for tax fraud, could spend 22 months...
- Man United & Barcelona send scouts to watch one of the hottest stars in Belgium [H...
- Kenny Dalglish tells Liverpool fans to ‘fasten their seatbelts’ for the Jur...
- The Twitter response to Jurgen Klopp’s appointment was record-breaking (Graphic)
- Jurgen Klopp arrives in Liverpool in Matze Knop’s wonderfully eccentric skit (Video)
- Arsene Wenger criticizes Liverpool for ‘irrational’ sacking of Brendan Rodgers
- Kyriakos Papadopoulos mocked Luis Suarez for being a biter during Barca’s win v L...
- Luis Suarez jokingly tries to slap Sergi Roberto in Barcelona training (Video)
- Injured Leo Messi gets a ride to Barcelona training from neighbour Luis Suarez (Video)
- Luis Suarez bags a brace as Barcelona beat Las Palmas 2-1 (official video)