- Diego Simeone says Barcelona’s Leo Messi is better than Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema combined
- Neymar at the double as Barcelona win 3-2 at Atletico Madrid [Highlights]
- Porto star Jackson Martinez nets Zlatan-esque backheel volley golazo [Vine & GIF]
- Troll! Juanfran showed Barcelona’s Neymar 7 fingers, referencing 7-1 loss to Germany [Video]
- Christian Eriksen (Spurs) inch perfect free kick golazo v Sheffield United [GIF]
Barcelona President Bartomeu admits club approached Luis Suarez before World Cup [The Mirror]
Barcelona President Josep Maria Bartomeu yesterday confessed that the club approached summer signing Luis Suarez BEFORE the World Cup, as reported by the Mirror.
What Bartomeu may have been unaware of was the fact that he was inadvertently confessing, in an interview with CNN, to tapping up the player, trying to lure him to Spain.
Bartomeu said: “When we approached Suarez, it was before the World Cup.
We told him that he had the right age. He had the experience. Playing at Liverpool give him incredible performance also. And it was the right time for him to come to our club, to Barcelona.”
He also said that the club had an advantage because his agent was the brother of former Barca boss Pep Guardiola:
“We knew from a lot of lot of years ago that Luis Suarez likes our club, likes our city. And we have the advantage. His agent is Pep Guardiola’s brother … He’s from Barca in his heart, also, so everything was perfect and created the perfect atmosphere that Luis Suarez accepted. And we know that he had better offers than our offer but he came to Barcelona.”
- Updated: August 6, 2014