- Barcelona celebrate Eric Abidal’s finest moments at the club in tribute video
- Eric Abidal scored two goals for Barcelona, one of which came in El Clasico [Video]
- Jokers! Cristiano Ronaldo and Pepe rip it out of James Rodriguez for terrible touch in Real Madrid training [Video]
- Marouane Fellaini says it was easy for critics to make him a scapegoat when David Moyes failed at Man United
- Olympiakos pay wonderful tribute to retiring defender Eric Abidal [Video]
Barcelona President Bartomeu admits club approached Luis Suarez before World Cup [The Mirror]
Barcelona President Josep Maria Bartomeu yesterday confessed that the club approached summer signing Luis Suarez BEFORE the World Cup, as reported by the Mirror.
What Bartomeu may have been unaware of was the fact that he was inadvertently confessing, in an interview with CNN, to tapping up the player, trying to lure him to Spain.
Bartomeu said: “When we approached Suarez, it was before the World Cup.
We told him that he had the right age. He had the experience. Playing at Liverpool give him incredible performance also. And it was the right time for him to come to our club, to Barcelona.”
He also said that the club had an advantage because his agent was the brother of former Barca boss Pep Guardiola:
“We knew from a lot of lot of years ago that Luis Suarez likes our club, likes our city. And we have the advantage. His agent is Pep Guardiola’s brother … He’s from Barca in his heart, also, so everything was perfect and created the perfect atmosphere that Luis Suarez accepted. And we know that he had better offers than our offer but he came to Barcelona.”
- Updated: August 6, 2014