Barcelona President Bartomeu admits club approached Luis Suarez before World Cup [The Mirror]
- August 6, 2014
Barcelona President Josep Maria Bartomeu yesterday confessed that the club approached summer signing Luis Suarez BEFORE the World Cup, as reported by the Mirror.
What Bartomeu may have been unaware of was the fact that he was inadvertently confessing, in an interview with CNN, to tapping up the player, trying to lure him to Spain.
Bartomeu said: “When we approached Suarez, it was before the World Cup.
We told him that he had the right age. He had the experience. Playing at Liverpool give him incredible performance also. And it was the right time for him to come to our club, to Barcelona.”
He also said that the club had an advantage because his agent was the brother of former Barca boss Pep Guardiola:
“We knew from a lot of lot of years ago that Luis Suarez likes our club, likes our city. And we have the advantage. His agent is Pep Guardiola’s brother … He’s from Barca in his heart, also, so everything was perfect and created the perfect atmosphere that Luis Suarez accepted. And we know that he had better offers than our offer but he came to Barcelona.”
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...