Barcelona join the race to sign Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney [El Mundo Deportivo]
- May 10, 2013
The future of Wayne Rooney is likely to take up a number of back page headlines this summer and the representatives of the England striker have received a shot in the arm today with the suggestion from El Mundo Deportivo that Barcelona would also be interested in the Manchester United hitman.
It is now widely accepted that Rooney handed in a transfer request just two weeks ago and the appointment of David Moyes as Manchester United manager is unlikely to placate him following their tumultuous relationship at Everton.
Recent reports in the English press suggested Rooney’s likely destinations this summer are Chelsea or Bayern Munich with the Blues the most likely.
El Mundo Deportivo claim Barcelona are looking to strengthen their attack this summer, with Brazilian starlet Neymar a target who may not arrive at the Nou Camp until after the 2014 World Cup.
Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova expressed his admiration for Wayne Rooney in October 2009 when he was quoted as saying: “Rooney I really like and I was worried in the final of the Champions League. I felt the same when we played Villa and Valencia.”
The Catalan giants subsequently signed David Villa the following year and El Mundo Deportivo argue Rooney would fit Barcelona’s needs for 2013/2014.
All these rumours come following the realisation that Wayne Rooney has changed his Twitter bio from “Manchester United player” to “Nike UK athlete.”
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...