(Barcelona & Argentina’s) Lionel Messi cleared of all charges in tax evasion investigation [El Pais]
- June 17, 2014
One less problem for the pressurized Lionel Messi to worry about: the four-time Ballon D’Or has been cleared of all charges in the tax-invasion investigation the public prosecutors had been carrying out over the last year.
After a long and drawn-out process, Messi’s pleading of ignorance has been the crucial point in the prosectors deeming him to be innocent, according to El Pais.
Messi told the judge ‘My father manages all of my financial affairs and I trust him’, and this affirmation was deemed to be ‘perfectly credible’ by the acting judges.
Messi’s father Jorge Horacio, however, remains under investigation, suspected of creating a false company by way of avoiding paying tax, estimated to be t the tune of 4 million euros.
Also playing in Messi’s favour in having his name cleared were the testimonies of two tax-office witnesses, according to El Pais, who confirmed that Messi ‘knew nothing’ about any of the financial dealings.
- Barcelona’s Luis Suarez jokingly tried to bite Leo Messi backstage at UCL draw (V...
- Messi lets slip a cheeky smile during Cristiano Ronaldo’s speech at UEFA awards (...
- Lionel Messi credits his teammates for enabling him to use his individual talents (Video)
- Lionel Messi inadvertently photobombing Cristiano Ronaldo goes viral (Picture)
- Barcelona recall Messi’s 5 goals against Leverkusen in 2011-12 Champions League (...
- Leo Messi really enjoyed beating Cristiano Roaldo to UEFA Player of the Year award [Ole]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...