(Barcelona & Argentina’s) Lionel Messi cleared of all charges in tax evasion investigation [El Pais]
- June 17, 2014
One less problem for the pressurized Lionel Messi to worry about: the four-time Ballon D’Or has been cleared of all charges in the tax-invasion investigation the public prosecutors had been carrying out over the last year.
After a long and drawn-out process, Messi’s pleading of ignorance has been the crucial point in the prosectors deeming him to be innocent, according to El Pais.
Messi told the judge ‘My father manages all of my financial affairs and I trust him’, and this affirmation was deemed to be ‘perfectly credible’ by the acting judges.
Messi’s father Jorge Horacio, however, remains under investigation, suspected of creating a false company by way of avoiding paying tax, estimated to be t the tune of 4 million euros.
Also playing in Messi’s favour in having his name cleared were the testimonies of two tax-office witnesses, according to El Pais, who confirmed that Messi ‘knew nothing’ about any of the financial dealings.
- Back to business: Barcelona’s deadly MSN trio are reunited in training (Video)
- Messi returns to Barcelona training a week early along with Neymar (Video)
- Besiktas striker Mario Gomez gives fantastic response on Messi v Ronaldo debate (Video)
- Leo Messi & Javier Mascherano surprise Barcelona by returning to training a week e...
- As Leo Messi gets in shape running on a treadmill, Thiago Messi does exercise next to h...
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic calls Cristiano Ronaldo ‘good’ in a word association gam...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi