Merk’d: Rio Ferdinand thanked Fulham for signing Olympiakos’ Kostas Mitroglou, so he wouldn’t have to face him
- February 25, 2014
With Fulham managing to sign Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiakos for £12.5 million on transfer deadline day, the Cottagers inadvertently did Manchester United a favour.
At least that’s what United’s Rio Ferdinand thought.
With Mitroglou’s leaving Olympiakos meaning United wouldn’t have to face him in the Champions League, Rio Ferdy felt pretty confident about the tie, and in an epic act of hubris, publicly thanked Rene Meulensteen for the ‘favour’ just after transfer deadline day.
Meulensteen, manager of Fulham at the time, used to be on United’s coaching staff, hence Rio’s pally-wally tweet.
Rio clearly believed this made United’s task all the easier, but he obviously didn’t do his homework.
Dominguez and Joel Campbell are pretty good too, ain’t that right Rio?
(United still managed to lose 2-0 to Olympiakos)
Rio, you’ve officially been Merk’d.
Fulham just signed our next CL opponents star man….good work Rene!! #TransferDeadlineDay
— Rio Ferdinand (@rioferdy5) January 31, 2014
- Dwight Yorke expects Man United to challenge for the PL title next season [video]
- Man United put together a €160m package (transfer fee & wages) for Bayern’s ...
- Man United’s Angel Di Maria shows off his rabona skills in a new ad for Coca-Cola...
- Bayern challenge Man United for Sergio Ramos. Offer defender a €60m, 5-year deal [El Ch...
- Bayern Munich star Thomas Muller talks to Bild about being a target for Manchester United
- Man United line up Lazio defender Stefan de Vrij if they miss out on Sergio Ramos [De T...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi