Merk’d: Rio Ferdinand thanked Fulham for signing Olympiakos’ Kostas Mitroglou, so he wouldn’t have to face him
- February 25, 2014
With Fulham managing to sign Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiakos for £12.5 million on transfer deadline day, the Cottagers inadvertently did Manchester United a favour.
At least that’s what United’s Rio Ferdinand thought.
With Mitroglou’s leaving Olympiakos meaning United wouldn’t have to face him in the Champions League, Rio Ferdy felt pretty confident about the tie, and in an epic act of hubris, publicly thanked Rene Meulensteen for the ‘favour’ just after transfer deadline day.
Meulensteen, manager of Fulham at the time, used to be on United’s coaching staff, hence Rio’s pally-wally tweet.
Rio clearly believed this made United’s task all the easier, but he obviously didn’t do his homework.
Dominguez and Joel Campbell are pretty good too, ain’t that right Rio?
(United still managed to lose 2-0 to Olympiakos)
Rio, you’ve officially been Merk’d.
Fulham just signed our next CL opponents star man….good work Rene!! #TransferDeadlineDay
— Rio Ferdinand (@rioferdy5) January 31, 2014
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...