- Best Photoshops! Spurs fans are getting VERY excited about Harry Kane!
- Robbie Rogers tells BBC 5 Live that “I want to be openly gay at Qatar 2022″ [Video]
- Jeff Stelling breaks microphone celebrating Hartlepool goal on Soccer Saturday!
- Man United’s Radamel Falcao tore up the turf after his knee slide v Aston Villa [Pictures]
- Maybe Louis van Gaal should start Radamel Falcao more often! [Graphic]
Merk’d: Rio Ferdinand thanked Fulham for signing Olympiakos’ Kostas Mitroglou, so he wouldn’t have to face him
With Fulham managing to sign Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiakos for £12.5 million on transfer deadline day, the Cottagers inadvertently did Manchester United a favour.
At least that’s what United’s Rio Ferdinand thought.
With Mitroglou’s leaving Olympiakos meaning United wouldn’t have to face him in the Champions League, Rio Ferdy felt pretty confident about the tie, and in an epic act of hubris, publicly thanked Rene Meulensteen for the ‘favour’ just after transfer deadline day.
Meulensteen, manager of Fulham at the time, used to be on United’s coaching staff, hence Rio’s pally-wally tweet.
Rio clearly believed this made United’s task all the easier, but he obviously didn’t do his homework.
Dominguez and Joel Campbell are pretty good too, ain’t that right Rio?
(United still managed to lose 2-0 to Olympiakos)
Rio, you’ve officially been Merk’d.
Fulham just signed our next CL opponents star man….good work Rene!! #TransferDeadlineDay
— Rio Ferdinand (@rioferdy5) January 31, 2014
- Updated: February 25, 2014