Merk’d: Rio Ferdinand thanked Fulham for signing Olympiakos’ Kostas Mitroglou, so he wouldn’t have to face him
- February 25, 2014
With Fulham managing to sign Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiakos for £12.5 million on transfer deadline day, the Cottagers inadvertently did Manchester United a favour.
At least that’s what United’s Rio Ferdinand thought.
With Mitroglou’s leaving Olympiakos meaning United wouldn’t have to face him in the Champions League, Rio Ferdy felt pretty confident about the tie, and in an epic act of hubris, publicly thanked Rene Meulensteen for the ‘favour’ just after transfer deadline day.
Meulensteen, manager of Fulham at the time, used to be on United’s coaching staff, hence Rio’s pally-wally tweet.
Rio clearly believed this made United’s task all the easier, but he obviously didn’t do his homework.
Dominguez and Joel Campbell are pretty good too, ain’t that right Rio?
(United still managed to lose 2-0 to Olympiakos)
Rio, you’ve officially been Merk’d.
Fulham just signed our next CL opponents star man….good work Rene!! #TransferDeadlineDay
— Rio Ferdinand (@rioferdy5) January 31, 2014
- Watch Memphis Depay’s individual highlights for Man United v PSG (Video)
- Pedro’s move from Barcelona to Man United is matter of “when, not if”...
- “Missing” Angel Di Maria posters spotted in Manchester ahead of Man United ...
- Matteo Darmian’s impressive individual highlights for Man United v PSG (Video)
- Watch Louis van Gaal bat away questions about Angel Di Maria at his latest Man United p...
- Man United legend Peter Schmeichel and Jeff Stelling have cameos in a new Carlsberg adv...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi