Merk’d: Rio Ferdinand thanked Fulham for signing Olympiakos’ Kostas Mitroglou, so he wouldn’t have to face him
- February 25, 2014
With Fulham managing to sign Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiakos for £12.5 million on transfer deadline day, the Cottagers inadvertently did Manchester United a favour.
At least that’s what United’s Rio Ferdinand thought.
With Mitroglou’s leaving Olympiakos meaning United wouldn’t have to face him in the Champions League, Rio Ferdy felt pretty confident about the tie, and in an epic act of hubris, publicly thanked Rene Meulensteen for the ‘favour’ just after transfer deadline day.
Meulensteen, manager of Fulham at the time, used to be on United’s coaching staff, hence Rio’s pally-wally tweet.
Rio clearly believed this made United’s task all the easier, but he obviously didn’t do his homework.
Dominguez and Joel Campbell are pretty good too, ain’t that right Rio?
(United still managed to lose 2-0 to Olympiakos)
Rio, you’ve officially been Merk’d.
Fulham just signed our next CL opponents star man….good work Rene!! #TransferDeadlineDay
— Rio Ferdinand (@rioferdy5) January 31, 2014
- ‘Out of order': Manchester United legends criticize David De Gea for getting dist...
- Man United boss Louis van Gaal hails Wayne Rooney’s “strong mentality”...
- Two cute Belgium girls learn the song about Man United legend George Best (Video)
- Man United fan claims Ander Herrera was key to 4-0 win against Club Brugge (Video)
- Photo shoot: Man United’s Luke Shaw & Daley Blind laud new third kit (Video ...
- Eamon Dunphy slags off Man United’s Memphis Depay, says he’s not the “...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...