Awesome! Alex Frei plays final game for Basel, scores stunning free-kick v Zurich
- April 14, 2013
Judging by reports in the Swiss media, they can barely believe the events of today at St Jakob Park.
After beating Spurs on penalties on Thursday evening to set up a Europa League semi-final clash with Chelsea, Basel hosted Zurich in the Swiss Super League on Sunday.
Veteran striker Alex Frei was given his final run out for the club after a stellar career which started and ended with Basel.
The 33-year-old Swiss forward is hanging up his boots to become the new sports director of FC Lucerne and played just over an hour for Basel today.
When Frei stepped up to take a free-kick on the edge of the box, in the 58th minute, Basel were 1-0 down, they would go on to win 3-1.
After the game, Frei said: “I would like to thank my family for 16 years of support. And thank you the fans for four great years. You all have a place in my heart.”
The statistics of Alex Frei’s playing career now read: 522 matches, 310 goals.
It is unlikely that he scored a better goal throughout a lengthy career than this free-kick versus Zurich.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...