- Enhanced Acca! Back Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid & Juventus all to win at 8/1
- Tottenham stars Eriksen & Dier take on Townsend & Bentaleb in FIFA 15 tournament [Video]
- Spoof! Arsenal fans produce a ‘say thanks’ Facebook video for Arsene Wenger [talkSPORT]
- Injured Arsenal star Mesut Ozil wishes Danny Welbeck Happy Birthday & a CL win [Screenshot]
- Don’t try & shoot! Dom Telford scores from 30 yards for Blackpool youth v Shrewsbury Town
Awesome! Alex Frei plays final game for Basel, scores stunning free-kick v Zurich
Judging by reports in the Swiss media, they can barely believe the events of today at St Jakob Park.
After beating Spurs on penalties on Thursday evening to set up a Europa League semi-final clash with Chelsea, Basel hosted Zurich in the Swiss Super League on Sunday.
Veteran striker Alex Frei was given his final run out for the club after a stellar career which started and ended with Basel.
The 33-year-old Swiss forward is hanging up his boots to become the new sports director of FC Lucerne and played just over an hour for Basel today.
When Frei stepped up to take a free-kick on the edge of the box, in the 58th minute, Basel were 1-0 down, they would go on to win 3-1.
After the game, Frei said: “I would like to thank my family for 16 years of support. And thank you the fans for four great years. You all have a place in my heart.”
The statistics of Alex Frei’s playing career now read: 522 matches, 310 goals.
It is unlikely that he scored a better goal throughout a lengthy career than this free-kick versus Zurich.
- Updated: April 14, 2013