Atletico’s Godin told Miranda to attack Messi’s thigh as he was struggling with injury
Atletico Madrid centre-back Diego Godin is today being charged with showing underhanded tactics during the SPanish Super Cup on Wednesday night.
Lionel Messi was withdrawn from the match at halftime after the Argentine forward was hampered with a thigh strain, but before the world footballer of the year had been told to sit on the bench Al Jazeera sports picked up on footage of Atleti’s players targetting Messi’s injury.
The footage in question recorded Uruguayan international Godin communicating with his centre-half teammate Miranda that Messi was troubled by a thigh problem.
After the initial communication, Godin was then seen clenching his fist in a “have it!” gesture, which was interpreted by onlookers as a blatant suggestion that Messi should be targetted right where it hurts.
Watch the footage below.
- Chelsea to turn to Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone to replace Jose Mourinho [Indepen...
- Argy-bargy as Atletico coach Diego Simeone in line to replace Jose Mourinho at Chelsea ...
- Atletico striker Angel Correa (20) spins past Casemiro with gorgeous roulette (GIF)
- Shocking Scenes: Benfica fans throw flares at Atletico Madrid fans during CL clash (video)
- Alejandro Grimaldo hits out at Luis Enrique for neglecting Barcelona B team (Quotes)
- The next generation of Leo Messi: Barcelona’s Masia-academy’s top 5 weekend...
- Barcelona’s kids scored another set of magical goals last week (Video)
- Barcelona also want Liverpool target Pierre Emerick Aubameyang [El Mundo Deportivo]