Atletico’s Godin told Miranda to attack Messi’s thigh as he was struggling with injury
- August 22, 2013
Atletico Madrid centre-back Diego Godin is today being charged with showing underhanded tactics during the SPanish Super Cup on Wednesday night.
Lionel Messi was withdrawn from the match at halftime after the Argentine forward was hampered with a thigh strain, but before the world footballer of the year had been told to sit on the bench Al Jazeera sports picked up on footage of Atleti’s players targetting Messi’s injury.
The footage in question recorded Uruguayan international Godin communicating with his centre-half teammate Miranda that Messi was troubled by a thigh problem.
After the initial communication, Godin was then seen clenching his fist in a “have it!” gesture, which was interpreted by onlookers as a blatant suggestion that Messi should be targetted right where it hurts.
Watch the footage below.
- Still Got It: Diego Simeone pulls off neat rainbow flick in Atletico Madrid training (V...
- Fernando Torres scores for Atletico Madrid at Real Oviedo (video)
- Chelsea confirm permanent sale of Filipe Luis to Atletico Madrid; Reported fee of £11.3m
- Filipe Luis has completed Atletico medical, but deal not done yet as Chelsea demand hig...
- Atletico Madrid bid farewell to Mario Suarez ahead of Fiorentina move (Video)
- Jackson Martinez arrives in Madrid after Atletico move, brushes off Falcao comparison [...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi