Atletico’s Godin told Miranda to attack Messi’s thigh as he was struggling with injury
- August 22, 2013
Atletico Madrid centre-back Diego Godin is today being charged with showing underhanded tactics during the SPanish Super Cup on Wednesday night.
Lionel Messi was withdrawn from the match at halftime after the Argentine forward was hampered with a thigh strain, but before the world footballer of the year had been told to sit on the bench Al Jazeera sports picked up on footage of Atleti’s players targetting Messi’s injury.
The footage in question recorded Uruguayan international Godin communicating with his centre-half teammate Miranda that Messi was troubled by a thigh problem.
After the initial communication, Godin was then seen clenching his fist in a “have it!” gesture, which was interpreted by onlookers as a blatant suggestion that Messi should be targetted right where it hurts.
Watch the footage below.
- Diego Costa says he’d love to have Arda Turan and his kebabs at Chelsea [Bugün]
- Atletico Madrid close in on Manchester United target Nicolas Gaitan [Record]
- Barcelona have beaten Chelsea to signing of €35m Arda Turan [TalkSport]
- Sevilla announce agreement to sign Spurs target Yevhen Konoplyanka
- Barcelona agree €35m fee with Atletico Madrid for Arda Turan [Sport]
- Atletico Madrid legend Miranda reflects on his time at the club before Inter move [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi