Atletico target Aston Villa forward Benteke as Arsenal & Chelsea snoop around Diego Costa [Marca]
Transfer season is alive and kicking on the front page of Spanish daily Marca on Tuesday as Atletico Madrid, Aston Villa, Arsenal and Chelsea are all clubbed together into one article concerning a potential striker merry-go-round.
For several weeks now Arsenal and Chelsea have been talked up in the press at targeting Diego Costa. Costa, Atletico and La Liga’s top scorer this season with an incredible 19 goals in 17 games (one more than Cristiano Ronaldo), wouldn’t come cheap, however the narrative being built up in the press is that the striker is for sale.
It goes without saying that the Diego-for-sale storyline makes for good newspapers headlines.
Costa recently renewed his deal at Vicente Calderon, agreeing to stay at Atletico until 2018, however it is understood a fresh buy-out clause of €38 million was inserted in the deal. Should Arsenal or Chelsea table that cash, the deal could well happen.
According to Marca, should Costa leave the Rojiblancos, then Atleti’s number one replacement target is Aston Villa forward Christian Benteke.
Benteke was on the club’s shopping list when they lost Radamel Falcao to Monaco last summer, but the deal couldn’t be done then. Marca now suggest that if Atleti get €38 million for Costa, the club would consider laying out a little less than €30 million needed to prise the Belgian away from Villa Park.
Benteke, who is currently sidelined with a knee injury until the new year, has seen his stock fall slightly in recent months after a blistering campaign in 2012-13.
So far this season the Belgian has only scored four goals in 14 games for Villa. Last season the powerful striker bagged 19 league goals in 34 games.
The front page of Marca on Tuesday is below.
Watch Live Stream
- An amazing stat comparing Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s recent winning record v Aston VillaAugust 23, 2016
- Derby v Aston Villa: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-08-20August 15, 2016
- Former Aston Villa star Dalian Atkinson dies at the age of 48 after being tasered by policeAugust 15, 2016
- Jack Grealish scores a solo goal as Aston Villa beat Rotherham 3-0 (Videos)August 14, 2016
- Rumours linking Arsenal to Antoine Griezmann are lies [Arseblog]August 24, 2016
- Arsene Wenger spent summer trying to sign Antoine Griezmann, move scuppered by Chelsea [Squawka]August 23, 2016
- Man Utd fans will love Antoine Griezmann’s reason for wearing Long Sleeved Number 7August 22, 2016
- Atletico Madrid 1 – Alaves 1: Late drama as the Rojiblancos drop two points (Official Video)August 22, 2016
- Fans wonder when Christian Benteke will make debut for new club, Burnleyl FC [Tweets]August 20, 2016
- Liverpool fans can’t believe they recouped their money on Christian Benteke sale to Palace [Tweets]August 20, 2016
- Crystal Palace agree £27 million deal to sign Liverpool forward Christian Benteke [BBC]August 18, 2016
- Details of Crystal Palace’s failed bid for Liverpool’s Christian Benteke revealed by the TimesAugust 17, 2016