Atletico Madrd’s Diego Costa has decided to play for Spain, not Brazil (where he was born)
“Diego Costa wants to play for the Spanish national team, although bureaucracy inhibits this for the moment. Atletico Madrid player Diego Costa can not be selected tomorrow by manager Vicente del Bosque for the upcoming games against Belarus and Georgia as FIFA have demanded additional paperwork, which is already being undertaken, even though the player has verbally expressed to the Spanish coach his desire to play for his national team in the future.” – Official statement from the Spanish Football Federation.
There have been rumblings for a while and on Thursday the Spanish Football Federation announced on their website that Diego Costa wants to play for Spain, not Brazil, where he was born.
The 24-year-old striker was born in Sergipe, Brazil but has never played in the country of his birth, starting at Penafiel in Portugal before spending the last five seasons in Spain where he came to the fore with Rayo Vallecano and more recently Atletico Madrid.
Last season Diego Costa was impressive for Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid, in 2013/2014 he has been a sensation, scoring eight goals in seven matches.
In particular, Costa’s link up play with Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke has been a feature of this season, with the former top goal scorer in La Liga and latter bagging the most assists.
Now the Spanish Football Federation are waiting for their Brazilian counterparts to file paperwork that confirms Costa has not played for Brazil in an official match.
The burly Atletico striker will add a toughness and steel to Spain’s attack that could be just what they have been missing and adds another top quality addition to the world and European champions.
Brazil must be kicking themselves but they had their opportunity to bring in Costa to play in an official match (he has only appeared in friendlies) and there seems to be a question mark over whether “Big Phil” Scolari saw the striker in his immediate plans for next summer’s World Cup.
It now seems almost inevitable that Costa will have some role (perhaps as pantomime villain?) in World Cup 2014.
Watch Live Stream
- Awful news: Cristiano Ronaldo limped out of Real Madrid training today (Video & Tweets)May 24th, 2016
- ‘I felt lost’ : Atletico Madrid’s Fernando Torres reflects on his dark days at ...May 23rd, 2016
- Nico Gaitan cries after final game for Benfica, ahead of Atletico Madrid move (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Diego Godin believes he can get a PSG striker to come to Atletico Madrid [Quotes]May 17th, 2016
- Barcelona star Dani Alves Trolls Pele in an Instagram videoMay 24th, 2016
- Liverpool’s Allan Rodrigues de Souza scores a winner for Brazil U20 v France (Video)May 22nd, 2016
- Rivaldo warns that people coming to Brazil this summer are putting their lives at riskMay 11th, 2016
- Graphic footage: Brazilian fan in serious condition after a dozen fans beat him up on pitch (Video)May 9th, 2016
- Fans joke after Chelsea’s Diego Costa & Man United’s Juan Mata omitted from Spai...May 17th, 2016
- Iker Casillas discusses battling with David De Gea to be Spain’s goalie at Euro 2016 [AS]April 19th, 2016
- Spanish keeper Iker Casillas celebrates his international appearance record on InstagramMarch 28th, 2016
- Which international team has the best Under-25 side?March 27th, 2016