Atletico Madrd’s Diego Costa has decided to play for Spain, not Brazil (where he was born)
“Diego Costa wants to play for the Spanish national team, although bureaucracy inhibits this for the moment. Atletico Madrid player Diego Costa can not be selected tomorrow by manager Vicente del Bosque for the upcoming games against Belarus and Georgia as FIFA have demanded additional paperwork, which is already being undertaken, even though the player has verbally expressed to the Spanish coach his desire to play for his national team in the future.” – Official statement from the Spanish Football Federation.
There have been rumblings for a while and on Thursday the Spanish Football Federation announced on their website that Diego Costa wants to play for Spain, not Brazil, where he was born.
The 24-year-old striker was born in Sergipe, Brazil but has never played in the country of his birth, starting at Penafiel in Portugal before spending the last five seasons in Spain where he came to the fore with Rayo Vallecano and more recently Atletico Madrid.
Last season Diego Costa was impressive for Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid, in 2013/2014 he has been a sensation, scoring eight goals in seven matches.
In particular, Costa’s link up play with Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke has been a feature of this season, with the former top goal scorer in La Liga and latter bagging the most assists.
Now the Spanish Football Federation are waiting for their Brazilian counterparts to file paperwork that confirms Costa has not played for Brazil in an official match.
The burly Atletico striker will add a toughness and steel to Spain’s attack that could be just what they have been missing and adds another top quality addition to the world and European champions.
Brazil must be kicking themselves but they had their opportunity to bring in Costa to play in an official match (he has only appeared in friendlies) and there seems to be a question mark over whether “Big Phil” Scolari saw the striker in his immediate plans for next summer’s World Cup.
It now seems almost inevitable that Costa will have some role (perhaps as pantomime villain?) in World Cup 2014.
Watch Live Stream
- Atletico Madrid are making serious money from Sergio Aguero’s success at Man CityDecember 6, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo Jr is a big fan of… Antoine GriezmannDecember 5, 2016
- Diego Simeone’s brilliant anti-Juventus Instagram post after Giovanni Simeone braceNovember 28, 2016
- Man United fans get excited as Antoine Griezmann produces another transfer hint [Telefoot]November 27, 2016
- Brazil coach Tite lavishes praise on Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho (Video)December 1, 2016
- Neymar, Gabriel Jesus & Philippe Coutinho may monetise their goal celebration [UOL Esporte]November 17, 2016
- Man City’s Gabriel Jesus bags goal & assist for Brazil as they make it 6 wins from 6 (videos)November 16, 2016
- Peru v Brazil: Watch a Live Stream of the World Cup qualifierNovember 14, 2016
- Lallana & Vardy set up England, but Spain salvaged a 2-2 draw (Official Video)November 16, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo jokes about Spain’s mannequin challenge [Instagram]November 16, 2016
- Eric Dier v Ander Herrera: Spurs & Man United fans argue over which team is harder [Tweets]November 16, 2016
- Spain do the mannequin challenge in Wembley dressing room after England game (Video)November 16, 2016