Atletico Madrd’s Diego Costa has decided to play for Spain, not Brazil (where he was born)
“Diego Costa wants to play for the Spanish national team, although bureaucracy inhibits this for the moment. Atletico Madrid player Diego Costa can not be selected tomorrow by manager Vicente del Bosque for the upcoming games against Belarus and Georgia as FIFA have demanded additional paperwork, which is already being undertaken, even though the player has verbally expressed to the Spanish coach his desire to play for his national team in the future.” – Official statement from the Spanish Football Federation.
There have been rumblings for a while and on Thursday the Spanish Football Federation announced on their website that Diego Costa wants to play for Spain, not Brazil, where he was born.
The 24-year-old striker was born in Sergipe, Brazil but has never played in the country of his birth, starting at Penafiel in Portugal before spending the last five seasons in Spain where he came to the fore with Rayo Vallecano and more recently Atletico Madrid.
Last season Diego Costa was impressive for Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid, in 2013/2014 he has been a sensation, scoring eight goals in seven matches.
In particular, Costa’s link up play with Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke has been a feature of this season, with the former top goal scorer in La Liga and latter bagging the most assists.
Now the Spanish Football Federation are waiting for their Brazilian counterparts to file paperwork that confirms Costa has not played for Brazil in an official match.
The burly Atletico striker will add a toughness and steel to Spain’s attack that could be just what they have been missing and adds another top quality addition to the world and European champions.
Brazil must be kicking themselves but they had their opportunity to bring in Costa to play in an official match (he has only appeared in friendlies) and there seems to be a question mark over whether “Big Phil” Scolari saw the striker in his immediate plans for next summer’s World Cup.
It now seems almost inevitable that Costa will have some role (perhaps as pantomime villain?) in World Cup 2014.
Watch Live Stream
- Atletico Madrid offered Real Madrid €70m for Alvaro Morata [AS]August 28, 2016
- Arsenal tried to sign Antoine Griezmann & Robert Lewandowski this summer [Sun]August 28, 2016
- Rumours linking Arsenal to Antoine Griezmann are lies [Arseblog]August 24, 2016
- Arsene Wenger spent summer trying to sign Antoine Griezmann, move scuppered by Chelsea [Squawka]August 23, 2016
- Gabriel Jesus defends Neymar for abusing a Brazil fan after the Olympics finalAugust 24, 2016
- Brazil fan uses Facebook & his Olympics football final tickets to get a jobAugust 23, 2016
- Neymar continues to get close to ex girlfriend Bruna Marquezine (Videos)August 22, 2016
- After winning Olympic gold, Neymar lost it with a Brazil fan in the Maracana crowd (Video)August 22, 2016
- How? Spain’s Nahikari García misses incredibly easy open goal in UEFA Womens U19 final (Video)August 1, 2016
- Spain boss Vicente Del Bosque: Iker Casillas is the only player I didn’t write a Thank You message toJuly 1, 2016
- Chelsea’s Antonio Conte’s amazing touchline highlights during Italy v Spain (Video)June 28, 2016
- Spexit: Italy batter Spain – double European champions out of Euro 2016 [Best Tweets]June 27, 2016