- Didier Drogba eats Mark Schwarzer’s Aussie Vegemite on Chelsea TV [Video]
- Manchester United plan to sell Di Maria to PSG in order to fund Gareth Bale transfer (!) [Express]
- Wigan chairman Dave Whelan facing FA probe over ‘Jews love money’ remark [Backpages]
- Gee Willickers! DC Comics block Valencia’s bat logo registration due to Batman similarity
- Sheffield United release statement retracting decision to allow Ched Evans train
AS: Real Madrid offer €110m (including Fabio Coentrao) for Gareth Bale
The front page of Madrid-based paper AS once again features Gareth Bale on Thursday morning and they claim significant progress has been made in the on-going transfer saga of the Spurs forward.
According to Marco Ruiz, a journalist who has been stalking Bale during his stay with the Wales national team, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is close to accepting a 110 million euro offer, which includes left-sided player Fabio Coentrao.
Spurs initially asked for Jese Rodriguez or Alvaro Morata to be included in the deal, but Real Madrid will only part with Coentrao who they value at 30 million euros.
The Portuguese international, who cost 25 million euros from Benfica, is valued by Tottenham at 20 million euros. AS say the latest offer is being discussed with the valuation of Coentrao a sticking point.
Levy wants 90 million euros and Coentrao, Real Madrid believe 85 million plus the former Benfica man is sufficient.
Tottenham are in no rush to sort out a deal with Real Madrid and feel the pressure will ratchet up on Bale once their Premier League campaign begins on Sunday.
“A source” is quoted by AS: “Bale has spent three weeks with the same plan. He does not want to train, nor play games… seems to have made a final decision.”
Finally, AS add that Spurs have not given up hope of holding on to Bale and still hope to discuss a new deal with the Welsh forward in the coming days.
The front cover of Thursday’s AS is below.
- Updated: August 15, 2013